After a lackluster first half, the Utes racked up 451 yards total offense, with offensive MVP Brian Johnson completing 20-of-25 passes for 226 yards and one TD and rushing 11 times for 69 yards and another score.
The Utes allowed Navy the nation's top ground attack to run for 316 yards, its season average. Joe Dale had two key plays a fourth-down stop and a game-ending pick. Utah had enough stops from midway in the third period until the final minutes.
GRADE BSpecial teams
Louie Sakoda had five PATs but suffered through a challenging game punting, with two sub-30-yard kicks dropping his game average to 34.5 yards. Navy recovered the late onside kick and nearly broke some long kickoff returns.
Utah regained the lead in the second half and then retained it. The Ute offense came alive in the second half to score 14 points in each of the final two quarters. There were enough key stops to stymie the Midshipmen.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 42
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35