After a lackluster first half, the Utes racked up 451 yards total offense, with offensive MVP Brian Johnson completing 20-of-25 passes for 226 yards and one TD and rushing 11 times for 69 yards and another score.
The Utes allowed Navy the nation's top ground attack to run for 316 yards, its season average. Joe Dale had two key plays a fourth-down stop and a game-ending pick. Utah had enough stops from midway in the third period until the final minutes.
GRADE BSpecial teams
Louie Sakoda had five PATs but suffered through a challenging game punting, with two sub-30-yard kicks dropping his game average to 34.5 yards. Navy recovered the late onside kick and nearly broke some long kickoff returns.
Utah regained the lead in the second half and then retained it. The Ute offense came alive in the second half to score 14 points in each of the final two quarters. There were enough key stops to stymie the Midshipmen.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Utah Jazz: Fate turned former walk-on, NCAA...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 63
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 45
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 16
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8