After a lackluster first half, the Utes racked up 451 yards total offense, with offensive MVP Brian Johnson completing 20-of-25 passes for 226 yards and one TD and rushing 11 times for 69 yards and another score.
The Utes allowed Navy the nation's top ground attack to run for 316 yards, its season average. Joe Dale had two key plays a fourth-down stop and a game-ending pick. Utah had enough stops from midway in the third period until the final minutes.
GRADE BSpecial teams
Louie Sakoda had five PATs but suffered through a challenging game punting, with two sub-30-yard kicks dropping his game average to 34.5 yards. Navy recovered the late onside kick and nearly broke some long kickoff returns.
Utah regained the lead in the second half and then retained it. The Ute offense came alive in the second half to score 14 points in each of the final two quarters. There were enough key stops to stymie the Midshipmen.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman signs 2-year...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 60
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29