For 14 years, pianist/bandleader Larry Jackstien has performed a Winter Solstice concert at St. Mark's Cathedral. Having this type of concert in Salt Lake City shows the dedication of Jackstien and the cathedral staff.
"It started off as an idea, and they kept it going," Jackstien told the Deseret Morning News. "It has been successful. There is a place for it, and it's like New York where they have Winter Solstice concerts in the big churches. I'm happy to be a part of this, and the audience has been really appreciative."
This year, Jackstien and his group drummer Jay Lawrence, bassist Lars Yorgason and vocalist Jill Angerbauer (Jackstien's daughter) will welcome father-and-son jazz-guitar duo Mike and Corey Christiansen.
"Mike is a professor and director of guitar studies at Utah State University," Jackstien said. "I first met him a few years ago when my group went to Logan and had the opportunity to play a job with him and his group, the Lightwood Duo.
"I thought they were great," Jackstien said. "And so, when I was the director of the Snowbird Jazz & Blues Festival later on, I asked him to play for us."
Jackstien met Corey Christiansen, senior music editor and adviser of product development for Mel Bay Records/Publications. He is also the artist in residence for the Music School in American Fork.
"In my other job, I'm a marketing adviser," said Jackstien, who is the president of Marketing Masters Associates. "I did a marketing project for the Music School, and that's where I met Corey."
The idea to have a father-and-son concert for this year's Winter Solstice show was formed when the SLCJazz Series brought John and Bucky Pizzarelli to the Sheraton City Center this summer.
"That father-and-son idea just sounded like a good idea," Jackstien said.
Also making an appearance at the Winter Solstice concert will be narrator Spence Kinard.
The concert's program will include a tribute to all the seasons, Jackstien said. "Songs such as 'It Might as Well Be Spring,' 'Summertime,' 'Early Autumn' and 'Winter Wonderland.' I think we'll also play some nonseasonal numbers that we'll try to tie into the spirit."It's always a good performance, and we're looking forward to it."
If you go ...
What: 14th Annual Winter Solstice Concert, Larry Jackstien Group, Corey and Mike Christiansen
Where: St. Mark's Cathedral, 231 E. 100 South
When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
How much: Free, but donations will be acceptedWeb: www.stmarkscathedral-ut.org
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1