WASHINGTON Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"
The article, to be published in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, says Huckabee asked the question after saying he believes Mormonism is a religion but doesn't know much about it. His rival Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, is a member of the Mormon church, which is known officially as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The authoritative Encyclopedia of Mormonism, published in 1992, does not refer to Jesus and Satan as brothers. It speaks of Jesus as the son of God and of Satan as a fallen angel, which is a Biblical account.
A spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Huckabee's question is usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith rather than clarify doctrine.
"We believe, as other Christians believe and as Paul wrote, that God is the father of all," said the spokeswoman, Kim Farah.
"That means that all beings were created by God and are his spirit children. Christ, on the other hand, was the only begotten in the flesh and we worship him as the son of God and the savior of mankind," she said. "Satan is the exact opposite of who Christ is and what he stands for."
Romney did not respond to a request for comment.
Earlier this month in Iowa, Huckabee wouldn't say whether he thought Mormonism rival Romney's religion was a cult.
"I'm just not going to go off into evaluating other people's doctrines and faiths. I think that is absolutely not a role for a president," the former Arkansas governor said.
While he said he respects "anybody who practices his faith," Huckabee said that what other people believe he named Republican rivals Romney, John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton "is theirs to explain, not mine, and I'm not going to."
He also resisted wading into theology when pressed to explain why some evangelicals don't view the Mormon faith as a Christian denomination.
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- 'A light on the hill': Las Vegas Nevada...
- The Clean Cut: BYU's Men Chorus shares one...
- LDS leaders quiz: What have you learned from...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 48
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 41
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 26
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 18
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 9