GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) The main roadway leading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed for the winter season Friday because of icy conditions.
The seasonal closure of Arizona State Route 67 came just two days after Grand Canyon National Park officials closed two smaller North Rim roads and their canyon overlooks because of dangers from snow and ice.
The highway closure is expected to last until spring, and park facilities on the North Rim are set to reopen on May 15. The North Rim campground is still available for winter camping, but only by hiking from the South Rim or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the north.
The more popular South Rim of the canyon remains open year-round.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Chocolate compound restores age-related...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- Digital Savant: How to be a ghost (online)
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 59
- Religious, political leaders in... 35
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 19
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 18
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Churches proceed carefully when... 15
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say Islamic... 10