GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) The main roadway leading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed for the winter season Friday because of icy conditions.
The seasonal closure of Arizona State Route 67 came just two days after Grand Canyon National Park officials closed two smaller North Rim roads and their canyon overlooks because of dangers from snow and ice.
The highway closure is expected to last until spring, and park facilities on the North Rim are set to reopen on May 15. The North Rim campground is still available for winter camping, but only by hiking from the South Rim or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the north.
The more popular South Rim of the canyon remains open year-round.
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- Taiwan plane crash survivor crawls out of...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13