GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) The main roadway leading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed for the winter season Friday because of icy conditions.
The seasonal closure of Arizona State Route 67 came just two days after Grand Canyon National Park officials closed two smaller North Rim roads and their canyon overlooks because of dangers from snow and ice.
The highway closure is expected to last until spring, and park facilities on the North Rim are set to reopen on May 15. The North Rim campground is still available for winter camping, but only by hiking from the South Rim or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the north.
The more popular South Rim of the canyon remains open year-round.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14