GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) The main roadway leading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed for the winter season Friday because of icy conditions.
The seasonal closure of Arizona State Route 67 came just two days after Grand Canyon National Park officials closed two smaller North Rim roads and their canyon overlooks because of dangers from snow and ice.
The highway closure is expected to last until spring, and park facilities on the North Rim are set to reopen on May 15. The North Rim campground is still available for winter camping, but only by hiking from the South Rim or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the north.
The more popular South Rim of the canyon remains open year-round.
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Stories behind viral Oklahoma tragedy photos...
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Brave woman tried to reason with London...
- Why $1 billion doesn't mean what it used to...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 55
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,... 38
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17