GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) The main roadway leading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed for the winter season Friday because of icy conditions.
The seasonal closure of Arizona State Route 67 came just two days after Grand Canyon National Park officials closed two smaller North Rim roads and their canyon overlooks because of dangers from snow and ice.
The highway closure is expected to last until spring, and park facilities on the North Rim are set to reopen on May 15. The North Rim campground is still available for winter camping, but only by hiking from the South Rim or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the north.
The more popular South Rim of the canyon remains open year-round.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- The best (and worst) states when it comes to...
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015
- Britain mourns aid worker slain by Islamic...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 19
- US, Arab allies committed to fighting... 15
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 10