Elected officials who are Latter-day Saints make their own decisions and may not necessarily be in agreement with one another or even with a publicly stated church position. While the church may communicate its views with them, as it may to any other elected official, it recognizes that these officials still must make their own choices based on their best judgment and with consideration of the constituencies whom they were elected to represent. LDS Church statement
The Founding Fathers built this great nation on the very simple principle that church and state should be separate.... Mitt Romney's religious beliefs would not interfere with his ability to lead the country. On the contrary, his religious beliefs demand him to be fair, decent and kind to all people. U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah
Gov. Romney clearly articulated basic American truths.... (He) defined what unites us as Christians and as Americans. U.S. Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah
I told him what I honestly felt, that it was extraordinary. This was not a speech to Utah. This was a speech to the nation not a speech to Mormons. Kem Gardner, Utah developer who attended speech
I was especially impressed with his historical perspective and the reminder of the connection with religion and freedom. Valerie Pingree, Utahn formerly from Boston
I don't think it will appease his critics. I think people who, for doctrinal or dogmatic reasons, oppose him will continue to do so. But I don't think that's the audience he was trying to reach. Lynn Wardle, BYU law professor
I liked the fact he said he would not abandon his beliefs as president and that he would adhere to the oath he took. Marlene Hill, Utah native
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17