A magnificent reminder of the role religious faith must play in government and public policy. Whether it will answer all the questions and concerns of evangelical Christian voters is yet to be determined, but the governor is to be commended for articulating the importance of our religious heritage as it relates to today. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family
I think he did what he thought he needed to do to address concerns about whether he might use his particular faith as the basis for his decisions as president. Steve Scheffler, president, Iowa Christian Alliance
While I may disagree with some of the points made in the speech, including his lack of acknowledgment of the values and contributions of the nonreligious among us, I appreciate the overall tone. The Rev. Welton Gaddy, president, Interfaith Alliance
Make no mistake about it, this was a political speech. Romney sounded like he is running for pastor-in-chief rather than commander-in-chief. Costas Panagopoulos, political science professor, Fordham University
He had a lot of land mines that he had to avoid to make it a net plus. He did (avoid them). There would have been a severe temptation to say, 'I am just a different kind of Christian' ... but he didn't do that. Oran P. Smith, president, Palmetto Family Council, S.C.
Did he win over the evangelicals? Probably not. But he gave it his best shot. Terry Madonna, director, Center for Politics and Public Affairs, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa.
Sources: Associated Press, Gannett News Service, Hearst News Service
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery
- Police: Fugitive killed Florida officer
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8
- Obama declares 2014 'a breakthrough... 7
- Bush officials gave CIA wide latitude 7