A magnificent reminder of the role religious faith must play in government and public policy. Whether it will answer all the questions and concerns of evangelical Christian voters is yet to be determined, but the governor is to be commended for articulating the importance of our religious heritage as it relates to today. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family
I think he did what he thought he needed to do to address concerns about whether he might use his particular faith as the basis for his decisions as president. Steve Scheffler, president, Iowa Christian Alliance
While I may disagree with some of the points made in the speech, including his lack of acknowledgment of the values and contributions of the nonreligious among us, I appreciate the overall tone. The Rev. Welton Gaddy, president, Interfaith Alliance
Make no mistake about it, this was a political speech. Romney sounded like he is running for pastor-in-chief rather than commander-in-chief. Costas Panagopoulos, political science professor, Fordham University
He had a lot of land mines that he had to avoid to make it a net plus. He did (avoid them). There would have been a severe temptation to say, 'I am just a different kind of Christian' ... but he didn't do that. Oran P. Smith, president, Palmetto Family Council, S.C.
Did he win over the evangelicals? Probably not. But he gave it his best shot. Terry Madonna, director, Center for Politics and Public Affairs, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa.
Sources: Associated Press, Gannett News Service, Hearst News Service
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- Sex education should start sooner, study finds
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- Sorting out the claims after pipe break: Who...
- The creepiest Internet-related happenings of...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 47
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 43
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 37
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 30
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 25
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14