GOSHEN All's well that ends well including the town council election in Goshen.
For months, a question mark loomed overhead as city staffers wondered who would file to run for Goshen's two council seats. On Oct. 10, months past the July application deadline, three people filed to run as write-in candidates, and the two winners Steve Hopes and Cary Woodlandwere announced Wednesday afternoon.
Hopes received 142 votes and Woodland received 93 in the balloting which required voters to write candidates' names on the blank ballots. The election results were delayed because ballots had to be hand-counted, Utah County elections clerk Sandy Hoffman explained.
Mayor Dorothy Sprangue didn't mind the wait she said she's just glad the election turned out so well.
"We have two new council members," she beamed.
Prospects for seating a full council in January for the little town 15 miles south west of Payson, the road to election day hit a rocky patch when the July filing deadline came and went, negating the need for a primary election, since there were no candidates to winnow.
Woodland, a nine-year Goshen resident, said she thought someone else would run, but after months passed, she decided to step up to the plate herself.
"When nobody (filed), I said, 'Somebody's gotta do it, I guess it might as well be me,"' she said. Service isn't new to her; she's worked as a crossing guard at Goshen Elementary and filled in as a clerk in the city office.
Hopes could not be reached for comment. But Sprangue said he is a "hometown boy" who works as a private cement contractor. He's also volunteered for the city many times before, she said.
"He's always willing to lend a hand when needed," she said.
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on GOP to...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 2 critically injured, 1 seriously injured,...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 37
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 21
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 13
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 13
- Sen. Mike Lee pushing for vote on USA... 9
- Officer shoots, kills dog while... 7