GOSHEN All's well that ends well including the town council election in Goshen.
For months, a question mark loomed overhead as city staffers wondered who would file to run for Goshen's two council seats. On Oct. 10, months past the July application deadline, three people filed to run as write-in candidates, and the two winners Steve Hopes and Cary Woodlandwere announced Wednesday afternoon.
Hopes received 142 votes and Woodland received 93 in the balloting which required voters to write candidates' names on the blank ballots. The election results were delayed because ballots had to be hand-counted, Utah County elections clerk Sandy Hoffman explained.
Mayor Dorothy Sprangue didn't mind the wait she said she's just glad the election turned out so well.
"We have two new council members," she beamed.
Prospects for seating a full council in January for the little town 15 miles south west of Payson, the road to election day hit a rocky patch when the July filing deadline came and went, negating the need for a primary election, since there were no candidates to winnow.
Woodland, a nine-year Goshen resident, said she thought someone else would run, but after months passed, she decided to step up to the plate herself.
"When nobody (filed), I said, 'Somebody's gotta do it, I guess it might as well be me,"' she said. Service isn't new to her; she's worked as a crossing guard at Goshen Elementary and filled in as a clerk in the city office.
Hopes could not be reached for comment. But Sprangue said he is a "hometown boy" who works as a private cement contractor. He's also volunteered for the city many times before, she said.
"He's always willing to lend a hand when needed," she said.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35