SALT LAKE CITY The Family History Library of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month by hosting the tenth annual Hispanic Family History Conference on 19-20 October, 2007.
The conference is free to the public, and classes will be conducted in Spanish and English. Attendees will also receive free genealogy software.
Co-host for the conference is the BYU Center for Family History and Genealogy.
A course on advanced Hispanic research will be offered on Friday, 19 October, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This daylong class, taught by Dr. George Ryskamp of Brigham Young University, will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. His topics include: Finding & Using Sources that Tell the Story and Research before 1650 in Spain & Mexico.
Those who are just beginning to explore their Hispanic family history should attend on Saturday, 20 October. Registration for the free Saturday classes begins at 9:30 a.m. in the lobby of the Family History Library, located directly west of Temple Square.
Various classes will be taught throughout the day on Saturday; they will be taught in Spanish and English. Class topics include:
How to begin family history
Hands-on computer workshops
Spanish resources on the Internet
Finding records in Spain and Mexico
Research consultants will be available throughout the conference to provide free help with individual family history questions.
Attendees at the conference will also receive a free CD entitled Latin America Family History Resources which includes research guidance outlines and a genealogy software program for recording, managing and preserving ones personal family history in Spanish, Portuguese or English.
The Family History Library maintains the worlds largest repository of genealogical resources with vital records from over 110 countries, territories and possessions. There are over 4,000 branches of the library (family history centers) in more than 70 countries.
For additional information, please contact Ruth Merriman (801) 240-6208 or Ruth Gomez Schirmacher at (801) 240-1530, or go to FamilySearch.
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- Local faith leaders share inspiring Christmas...
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 77
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 18
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 14
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution 13
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 8
- North Ogden to make Nativity display... 8
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 4
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 3