SALT LAKE CITY The Family History Library of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month by hosting the tenth annual Hispanic Family History Conference on 19-20 October, 2007.
The conference is free to the public, and classes will be conducted in Spanish and English. Attendees will also receive free genealogy software.
Co-host for the conference is the BYU Center for Family History and Genealogy.
A course on advanced Hispanic research will be offered on Friday, 19 October, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This daylong class, taught by Dr. George Ryskamp of Brigham Young University, will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. His topics include: Finding & Using Sources that Tell the Story and Research before 1650 in Spain & Mexico.
Those who are just beginning to explore their Hispanic family history should attend on Saturday, 20 October. Registration for the free Saturday classes begins at 9:30 a.m. in the lobby of the Family History Library, located directly west of Temple Square.
Various classes will be taught throughout the day on Saturday; they will be taught in Spanish and English. Class topics include:
How to begin family history
Hands-on computer workshops
Spanish resources on the Internet
Finding records in Spain and Mexico
Research consultants will be available throughout the conference to provide free help with individual family history questions.
Attendees at the conference will also receive a free CD entitled Latin America Family History Resources which includes research guidance outlines and a genealogy software program for recording, managing and preserving ones personal family history in Spanish, Portuguese or English.
The Family History Library maintains the worlds largest repository of genealogical resources with vital records from over 110 countries, territories and possessions. There are over 4,000 branches of the library (family history centers) in more than 70 countries.
For additional information, please contact Ruth Merriman (801) 240-6208 or Ruth Gomez Schirmacher at (801) 240-1530, or go to FamilySearch.
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- LDS missionaries meet London teen battling...
- Mormon mission president held, robbed by...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 11
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 10
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- 5 must-see answers to faith's biggest... 7
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 6