The Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation has reported unprecedented growth in its DNA sample collection and analysis activities.
The nonprofit scientific organization is creating a gigantic database of correlated genetic and family history information.
The foundation is on course this year to collect more than 30,000 DNA samples, expected to push it over the top of 100,000 samples and corresponding genealogical records by the end of the year.
Growth has been particularly pronounced in mitochondrial DNA, passed from mothers to their children. But it's also experiencing strong growth in the number of Y-chromosome DNA samples passed from father to son and samples containing information inherited by both genders from all their ancestors.
The foundation's growth is being driven by increased international activity, including comprehensive new DNA collection efforts in Panama, Mongolia, Thailand and a variety of African nations and ongoing collections in nations from across the globe. The database contains information about more than 6 million ancestors through linked DNA samples and pedigree charts from 172 countries. The expansion comes with increased funding from foundation founder, billionaire inventor and philanthropist James L. Sorenson.
Information about the foundation's DNA collection projects worldwide is available online at www.smgf.org.
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem could mean...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 74
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24