Daniel Deane, who was released from the Utah basketball team in the spring, will be transferring to Oregon State, according to a report in the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
The 6-foot-9 forward was named Mr. Basketball by the Deseret Morning News in 2006 after leading Judge Memorial to the state 3A basketball championship.
As a freshman last year, he averaged 3.9 points and 2.7 rebounds in 12.9 minutes while starting four games. After coach Jim Boylen became the Ute coach, Deane didn't make the necessary academic progress needed to stay on the team and was released in May.
The Gazette-Times also reported that Oregon State is losing 6-6 swingman Jack McGillis, who would have been a junior, to a transfer.
OSU coach Jay John confirmed the McGillis transfer but isn't allowed to comment on Deane until he enrolls in school.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Halford helps key BYU's late-season run,...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 78
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 45
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29