Daniel Deane, who was released from the Utah basketball team in the spring, will be transferring to Oregon State, according to a report in the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
The 6-foot-9 forward was named Mr. Basketball by the Deseret Morning News in 2006 after leading Judge Memorial to the state 3A basketball championship.
As a freshman last year, he averaged 3.9 points and 2.7 rebounds in 12.9 minutes while starting four games. After coach Jim Boylen became the Ute coach, Deane didn't make the necessary academic progress needed to stay on the team and was released in May.
The Gazette-Times also reported that Oregon State is losing 6-6 swingman Jack McGillis, who would have been a junior, to a transfer.
OSU coach Jay John confirmed the McGillis transfer but isn't allowed to comment on Deane until he enrolls in school.
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career high in...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 52
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 45
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 40
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24