The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Tuesday that it has made available three new online resources to aid with Jewish genealogical research.
The announcement comes as the 27th International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies is meeting this week in Salt Lake City.
A new Web page at www.familysearch.org includes a Jewish genealogy database, a new research guide called "Tracing Your Jewish Ancestors" and information on thousands of Jews from the British Isles called the Knowles Collection, which builds on the work of the late Isobel Mordy. The latter links individuals into family groups, with more names added continuously, according to a press release.
Free genealogy software is available to download, and the Knowles Collection is available as a file that can be viewed and edited through most genealogy software programs.
Paul Nauta, manager of public affairs for FamilySearch, said users will be able to follow simple steps to identify an ancestor's birthplace or place of origin, "a difficult task for many with Jewish ancestry," he said. The research guide provides instructions on which records to search first, what to look for and what research tools to use.
Other Jewish family history resources at the site include links to relevant records and searchable databases, helpful guides and forms to view online or print, and online indexing projects, where individuals can register to volunteer or to see what databases are forthcoming.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26