The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Tuesday that it has made available three new online resources to aid with Jewish genealogical research.
The announcement comes as the 27th International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies is meeting this week in Salt Lake City.
A new Web page at www.familysearch.org includes a Jewish genealogy database, a new research guide called "Tracing Your Jewish Ancestors" and information on thousands of Jews from the British Isles called the Knowles Collection, which builds on the work of the late Isobel Mordy. The latter links individuals into family groups, with more names added continuously, according to a press release.
Free genealogy software is available to download, and the Knowles Collection is available as a file that can be viewed and edited through most genealogy software programs.
Paul Nauta, manager of public affairs for FamilySearch, said users will be able to follow simple steps to identify an ancestor's birthplace or place of origin, "a difficult task for many with Jewish ancestry," he said. The research guide provides instructions on which records to search first, what to look for and what research tools to use.
Other Jewish family history resources at the site include links to relevant records and searchable databases, helpful guides and forms to view online or print, and online indexing projects, where individuals can register to volunteer or to see what databases are forthcoming.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- S.L. draws up airport plans 16
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 16
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 14
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11