A generation of Glades came to a close on 10 April, 1999 with the death of Eugene Hyrum Glade. He was 97.
He was born to James Richard and Annie Norberg Glade in Park City on June 15, 1901. He spent his formative years growing up in Lakeview, Utah. He was the last of his generation which included his brothers Vernon, Will, George, Serge, Preston, and former Mayor of Salt Lake City. Earl J. Glade. Eugene married Edda Mae Snyder in the Salt Lake Temple on 30 Dec. 1920. Together they had five children. Sons Robert Eugene, Rulon Snyder and daughter-in-law Mary Monson Glade preceded him in death. After the death of Edda, his eternal mate, in 1958, Eugene married Alta P. Ottley. She died in 1988. Eugene was one of the few remaining Utah Veterans of World War I, serving in the U.S. Navy while still a teenager. A master baker and chef, Eugene spent several years in the restaurant business. Later in life, he helped start the Ute Cab Company in Salt Lake City. He was an active member of the LDS Church and held the office of High Priest. He was an avid sports fan and in his younger years was well known for his boxing prowess.Eugene is survived by his children; Gloria Bonham (Bud), Overton, NV; Dawn Ellingson (Dee) Portland OR; and Jerry Glade (Janis) of Salt Lake City. He leaves 18 grandchildren, 46 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild. The family wishes to express appreciation to Devon, Barry and Scott Ottley for their kind support of Dad throughout the years.
Friends may call Wednesday evening, the 14th of April, at the Larkin Mortuary 260 E. South Temple from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Funeral services will be held at the Monument Park 9th Ward, 1550 So. Foothill Dr. on Thursday, the 15th of April, at 12 noon. Viewing will take place one hour prior to the service at the ward. Interment to follow at the Salt Lake City Cemetery, 7th Avenue and N Street, near the Lindsey Garden Tennis Courts, a spot where Gene loved to spend many a summers day.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 27
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17