An English teacher at Cyprus High School was charged Tuesday with having sex with one of her juvenile students.
Christy Anne Brown, 33, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday. She was charged in 3rd District Court with three counts of forcible sex abuse, all second-degree felonies.
Brown was arrested after a West Valley City police officer found her in a parked car along with a male juvenile near 2900 South and 5600 West.
Brown was the boy's high school English teacher, according to a jail booking report and court documents obtained Tuesday. She told police she first had sex with the boy April 8, and the incidents had continued until she was arrested.
"The suspect admits to having sex over 40 times. She also admitted to having oral sex with the juvenile at her home and also at work," the jail report stated.
Police say the boy was 16 years old when the incidents began, and turned 17 last month.
"We believe this is the only victim," said West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan.
Brown was being held Tuesday in jail on $30,000 bail, according to court documents. Her home address is listed as being in Texas. Brown was hired by the Granite School District in August 2005 and resigned June 1 of this year, reportedly to take another job out of state.
"We are extremely disheartened," district spokesman Randy Ripplinger said Tuesday.
As of early Tuesday afternoon, the district had not received any information about the alleged victim. However, once that information is revealed, the district would offer whatever assistance is needed, Ripplinger said.Very few people were at Cyprus High School on Tuesday during its summer session. One student, who wished to remain anonymous, said Brown taught mostly sophomores. He said she was a popular teacher, and some students would try to switch classes so they could be taught by her.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 32
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11