An English teacher at Cyprus High School was charged Tuesday with having sex with one of her juvenile students.
Christy Anne Brown, 33, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday. She was charged in 3rd District Court with three counts of forcible sex abuse, all second-degree felonies.
Brown was arrested after a West Valley City police officer found her in a parked car along with a male juvenile near 2900 South and 5600 West.
Brown was the boy's high school English teacher, according to a jail booking report and court documents obtained Tuesday. She told police she first had sex with the boy April 8, and the incidents had continued until she was arrested.
"The suspect admits to having sex over 40 times. She also admitted to having oral sex with the juvenile at her home and also at work," the jail report stated.
Police say the boy was 16 years old when the incidents began, and turned 17 last month.
"We believe this is the only victim," said West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan.
Brown was being held Tuesday in jail on $30,000 bail, according to court documents. Her home address is listed as being in Texas. Brown was hired by the Granite School District in August 2005 and resigned June 1 of this year, reportedly to take another job out of state.
"We are extremely disheartened," district spokesman Randy Ripplinger said Tuesday.
As of early Tuesday afternoon, the district had not received any information about the alleged victim. However, once that information is revealed, the district would offer whatever assistance is needed, Ripplinger said.Very few people were at Cyprus High School on Tuesday during its summer session. One student, who wished to remain anonymous, said Brown taught mostly sophomores. He said she was a popular teacher, and some students would try to switch classes so they could be taught by her.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 76
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15