It appears Fisher ideally would want to live and work in New York, where since May his twin daughter has received cutting-edge treatment through The Retinoblastoma Program of the Ophthalmic Oncology Service at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan.
Earlier this week there, Tatum underwent what Bartelstein said the Fisher family hopes to be the final chemotherapy treatment she will need.
"It went well," the agent said.
Meanwhile, the Newark Star-Ledger reported Bartelstein spoke this week with Knicks assistant general manager Glen Grunwald. "Obviously, Derek would have a lot of interest in New York," Bartelstein told the newspaper. The Star-Ledger, though, called the possibility of Fisher actually signing with New York "probably a bit remote," since the Knicks "have 17 players on the roster and are stocked at guard."
The most-realistic possibility may be Los Angeles, where the Lakers are seeking veteran help to run the triangle offense with which Fisher is so familiar and where Fisher started his NBA career in 1996, the same year as Lakers star and close Fisher-friend Kobe Bryant.
Researchers at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, the facility's Web site says, have "developed an innovative laser/chemotherapy treatment for retinoblastoma."
"Me and Mitch (Kupchak) spoke and had very good conversation about the Lakers and Derek's interest," Bartelstein told Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise earlier this week.
"The Lakers are obviously close to his heart," the agent also told the Los Angeles Times.
As for the Jazz, they have no problem with Fisher shopping his services and seem confident he can find a match that suits the family's needs.
"We'd sign him again," Jazz basketball operations senior vice president Kevin O'Connor said."I hope he plays again," O'Connor added. "We want that."
- MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in...
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- Real Salt Lake: RSL's quest to win MLS Cup...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 59
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 49
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 26
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 24