Although the DWR had information that justified killing the bear after the first encounter, the Forest Service, at first, mistakenly thought the incident had just been a "brush-by," Logan said.
"Certainly, if the facts had been known to the extent that they're known today, we would have signed the area and had some kind of warning there that this site has been known to be visited by bears, but every site has probably been known to be visited by bears at some time or another," Logan said.
Logan said the DWR and Forest Service response to the first attack would normally have been sufficient, and he does not expect the Forest Service will change its protocol for future incidents.
"To say we're going to change protocol or do things differently, I don't think we would do things differently," Logan said. "We would evaluate (each situation) based on the data we have and take the appropriate action to protect the public that is out there."
Ives said his grandson loved adventure and camping with his family. The sixth-grader had been in the Cub Scouts program and was just starting to participate in the Boy Scouts of America.
"We were looking forward to see what this special young man would be when he grew up," Ives said. "What happened to him was so far beyond anything that could have been expected....It's difficult to comprehend and come to terms with."
A private funeral for Sam has been scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at the Olpin Family Mortuary, 494 S. 300 East in Pleasant Grove. Family and friends of the family are invited to attend.A trust fund has been established in Sam's name at the Wells Fargo Bank. The family says it will use any donations it receives for funeral services, counseling and to help the family.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16