OGDEN -- An Ogden father has been charged with murder in connection with the Christmas Eve death of his 16-month-old son.
Weber County prosecutors filed the first-degree felony against Jason Whittier after his son, Elijah Carson Fisher, died Dec. 24 at Primary Children's Medical Center.Ogden Assistant Police Chief Steve Turner said Whittier called for emergency medical help at 11:15 a.m. Dec. 21, saying his son had stopped breathing.
The toddler was rushed to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden, where doctors said it appeared the child had injuries consistent with shaken baby syndrome.
The boy was then taken to the Salt Lake hospital, where he remained in critical condition for three days before the family decided to remove life support. He died immediately after.
Turner said Elijah, who lived in Layton with his mother, was visiting his father at 1015 N. Gramercy Ave., the day of the incident.
The father told police the boy would not stop crying so he struck him in the stomach twice with his fist, shook him and then threw him to the floor, Turner said.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17