OGDEN -- An Ogden father has been charged with murder in connection with the Christmas Eve death of his 16-month-old son.
Weber County prosecutors filed the first-degree felony against Jason Whittier after his son, Elijah Carson Fisher, died Dec. 24 at Primary Children's Medical Center.Ogden Assistant Police Chief Steve Turner said Whittier called for emergency medical help at 11:15 a.m. Dec. 21, saying his son had stopped breathing.
The toddler was rushed to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden, where doctors said it appeared the child had injuries consistent with shaken baby syndrome.
The boy was then taken to the Salt Lake hospital, where he remained in critical condition for three days before the family decided to remove life support. He died immediately after.
Turner said Elijah, who lived in Layton with his mother, was visiting his father at 1015 N. Gramercy Ave., the day of the incident.
The father told police the boy would not stop crying so he struck him in the stomach twice with his fist, shook him and then threw him to the floor, Turner said.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 35
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 32
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 20