Steve Borget fired his second straight 69 Sunday and coasted to a 5-shot victory in the first annual UGA Mid-Amateur golf tournament at the Logan Country Club.
Borget, a 28-year-old accountant from Provo, won by five shots over Jeff Tucker and Chris Dahlberg in the tournament for golfers 25 and older.Until this weekend, Borget had never even seen the Logan course. So he played it "conservative," staying out of trouble on the par-71 course.
"I putted well both days and just tried to keep it in play. I never got into any trouble," he said.
After making five birdies and three bogeys in Saturday's opening round, Borget found more consistency Sunday with 14 pars, three birdies and just one bogey. He holed a 10-footer for birdie at the first hole for his longest putt of the day and made several par-saving putts in the 4- to 5-foot range.
Dahlberg had started the day as one of Borget's closest competitors after shooting a 70 Saturday, but he shot himself out of contention with a triple bogey at No. 8 when he hit out of bounds.
Two other golfers who had shot 70 the first day, Rob Despain and Tom Bashford, both struggled in with 77s Sunday and tied for fifth at 147.
Ron Hitchcock finished fourth at 144 after shooting his second straight 72.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 101
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9