When Kay Malone was introduced as keynote speaker during the sixth annual Governor's Initiative on Families Today Family Conference Saturday, Gov. Mike Leavitt noted Malone and her husband, Utah Jazz power forward Karl Malone, have four children.
Kay Malone told conference-goers that the Malone family has two new additions, Karl's children Cheryl and Daryl Ford. They reside in Summerfield, La., Karl Malone's hometown."They're the most loving kids. We're so pleased to have them in our family," she said.
Kay Malone said the "two new kids are loved just as much as the four little kids in our family.
"If you ever see them, they're Karl's kids. They look just like him."
Karl Malone, son Karl Jr. in tow, made a surprise appearance at the conference held at the Salt Palace.
The "Mailman" said his family supports him through good and bad. This summer has been particularly trying given the disappointing loss in the National Basketball Association finals and news accounts about his teenage twins.
"Of course you'd have to be living under a rock not to know what's happened," Malone said.
"I do what I do. I do what I do not just for me, but for my family. My wife understands me. She doesn't always agree with me, but she supports me. My wife means everything to me, contrary to what people think."
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12