Romney son driving 'Mitt Mobile' to Iowa
Salt Lake resident will spend summer on the campaign trail
Mitt Romney has been leading in the polls in Iowa and is expected to win the straw poll because the other top-tier candidates already in the race, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain, have dropped out of the August event.
But that hasn't changed Josh's plans. He's already been to the state four times since his mother surprised him at a campaign event held there earlier this year by promising he'd fulfill the traditional presidential campaign goal in Iowa of visiting every county.
Josh has readied himself for repeated visits between now and the August straw poll by studying up on his father's positions on the issues as well as reviewing a book about Iowa's curiosities such as being home to the world's largest truck stop.
"People expect me to know everything my father thinks and know his position on everything," Josh said. "People feel passionately about issues." He recalled an Iowa man who became angry while discussing what constituted a fair tax on the wealthy.
One of the issues that Josh said he expects to be asked about is the family's membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "At some point, I'm sure I will," he said. "A lot of people think about it."
His answer about Mormonism sounds an awful lot like his father's, about how voters are looking for a president who shares their values, not necessarily their specific faith. "My dad says that a lot, but it's true," Josh said."The fact is we share values. The values our family has are as American as can be and mesh well with the values the rest of the country shares," Josh said. "The family is a big part of that. We're a normal family with normal values."
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Living — or dying — with...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 97
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 87
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 68
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 61
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35