Romney son driving 'Mitt Mobile' to Iowa
Salt Lake resident will spend summer on the campaign trail
Mitt Romney has been leading in the polls in Iowa and is expected to win the straw poll because the other top-tier candidates already in the race, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain, have dropped out of the August event.
But that hasn't changed Josh's plans. He's already been to the state four times since his mother surprised him at a campaign event held there earlier this year by promising he'd fulfill the traditional presidential campaign goal in Iowa of visiting every county.
Josh has readied himself for repeated visits between now and the August straw poll by studying up on his father's positions on the issues as well as reviewing a book about Iowa's curiosities such as being home to the world's largest truck stop.
"People expect me to know everything my father thinks and know his position on everything," Josh said. "People feel passionately about issues." He recalled an Iowa man who became angry while discussing what constituted a fair tax on the wealthy.
One of the issues that Josh said he expects to be asked about is the family's membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "At some point, I'm sure I will," he said. "A lot of people think about it."
His answer about Mormonism sounds an awful lot like his father's, about how voters are looking for a president who shares their values, not necessarily their specific faith. "My dad says that a lot, but it's true," Josh said."The fact is we share values. The values our family has are as American as can be and mesh well with the values the rest of the country shares," Josh said. "The family is a big part of that. We're a normal family with normal values."
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14