MEMPHIS, Tenn. If Deron Williams continues to have problems with his strained groin, the Jazz might be in the market for a point guard, coach Jerry suggested Wednesday.
Sloan was discussing what the Jazz might do with their newfound roster room rookie forward Louis Amundson was released earlier this week, and recently acquired veteran big man Alan Henderson is expected to be waived soon, which would leave the Jazz with 13 players and two open spots when he offered the suggestion.
"I guess the one thing that would come to mind, as much as anything," the Jazz coach said "is a possible point guard, because with seeing (starter) Deron (Williams) out, and then (if) you get (backup Derek) Fisher hurt, we're down to one point (rookie Dee Brown)."
If Williams is OK for the next few games, however, the point issue may become moot.
He missed two of the Jazz's four games before Wednesday because of the nagging injury, but played in a 104-88 win at Memphis.
Afterward, Williams said he felt good. Still, he wasn't about to commit his availability for the Jazz's Friday visit to Minnesota.
"I'll see how I feel (today) when I wake up," said Williams, who played with the groin heavily wrapped. "That will probably be the test of what I do the next day and the next day after that."
With the NBA's trade deadline having already passed, any point Utah did acquire probably would have to come from the minors.
One possibility is D-Leaguer Brian Chase, who was with the team for seven games earlier this season but never did make it onto the active roster. He ran Utah's offense from the point position during training camp and in the preseason, though the Jazz consider him more of a combo guard than a pure point.Another possibility is current D-Leaguer and former Jazz guard Randy Livingston.
MISC.: Jazz starting power forward Carlos Boozer continues to wear a bulky brace to protect the still-healing hairline fracture in his left fibula bone, and will do so for at least two more games. ... Boozer's double-double Wednesday was his 35th of the season he ranked sixth in the NBA with 34 entering the game and Williams' was his 19th. ... Swingman C.J. Miles, who started at small forward when Andrei Kirilenko was out with a knee injury against Boston last Saturday, was inactive Wednesday. ... Ex-Jazz forward Scott Padgett, recently traded from Houston to Memphis, was scoreless on 0-of-3 shooting in seven minutes.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 23
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8