Trolley Square shooting victim Alan "AJ" Walker, 16, opened his eyes and was awake and "responsive" Wednesday evening, according to a Walker family spokesman.
The teenager was still listed in serious condition at a local hospital and was sedated.
Family spokesman Mark McDougal said that Walker is still not aware that his father was killed in the shooting Monday. Five people died before the gunman, Sulejman Talovic, 18, was shot and killed by police.
Funeral services for AJ's father, Jeffery Walker, 52, have been set for this weekend. A viewing will be held Friday, 5 to 8 p.m., at the McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 S. Redwood Road, in Taylorsville.
A second viewing will take place on Saturday, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., at the Country Park Stake Center, 11400 S. 2447 West, in South Jordan. The funeral will follow at noon inside the stake center.
After the funeral, a burial ceremony will take place at the Valley View Memorial Park, in West Valley City.
At the request of doctors, AJ may not learn about his father's fate until today or Friday, McDougal said. AJ underwent surgery Tuesday to relieve pressure on his brain, and the concern is that stress or trauma could "adversely" affect the outcome of that surgery.
"They said it's going to take four or five more days before they can begin measuring cognitive deficits," McDougal said about plans for AJ's care. Some BBs from the shotgun blast may remain permanently lodged in the teenager's head, McDougal noted. It could take weeks, he added, until doctors know about the full extent of any permanent injuries or damage AJ may have.
McDougal said a trust fund has been set up for the care of AJ, through Zions Bank. "We've got some significant insurance issues and medical bills we're going to have to deal with," he said.
Donations to the Zions fund can be made by specifying AJ Walker or Vickie Walker on behalf of AJ Walker.A memorial fund for shooting victims has also been set up at Wells Fargo Bank, according to a South Jordan city press release Wednesday.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13