Trolley Square shooting victim Alan "AJ" Walker, 16, opened his eyes and was awake and "responsive" Wednesday evening, according to a Walker family spokesman.
The teenager was still listed in serious condition at a local hospital and was sedated.
Family spokesman Mark McDougal said that Walker is still not aware that his father was killed in the shooting Monday. Five people died before the gunman, Sulejman Talovic, 18, was shot and killed by police.
Funeral services for AJ's father, Jeffery Walker, 52, have been set for this weekend. A viewing will be held Friday, 5 to 8 p.m., at the McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 S. Redwood Road, in Taylorsville.
A second viewing will take place on Saturday, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., at the Country Park Stake Center, 11400 S. 2447 West, in South Jordan. The funeral will follow at noon inside the stake center.
After the funeral, a burial ceremony will take place at the Valley View Memorial Park, in West Valley City.
At the request of doctors, AJ may not learn about his father's fate until today or Friday, McDougal said. AJ underwent surgery Tuesday to relieve pressure on his brain, and the concern is that stress or trauma could "adversely" affect the outcome of that surgery.
"They said it's going to take four or five more days before they can begin measuring cognitive deficits," McDougal said about plans for AJ's care. Some BBs from the shotgun blast may remain permanently lodged in the teenager's head, McDougal noted. It could take weeks, he added, until doctors know about the full extent of any permanent injuries or damage AJ may have.
McDougal said a trust fund has been set up for the care of AJ, through Zions Bank. "We've got some significant insurance issues and medical bills we're going to have to deal with," he said.
Donations to the Zions fund can be made by specifying AJ Walker or Vickie Walker on behalf of AJ Walker.A memorial fund for shooting victims has also been set up at Wells Fargo Bank, according to a South Jordan city press release Wednesday.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Man arrested in Mt. Olympus homicide...
- Findings released, officer cleared after dog...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 43
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 24