6 minutes of horror

Shooter aimed to kill as many as he could

Published: Wednesday, Feb. 14 2007 12:00 a.m. MST

LDS ward members and friends of Jeffery Walker attend a prayer service Tuesday. Walker's son AJ was injured in the shootings.

Scott G. Winterton, Deseret Morning News

Deseret Morning News graphic   Trolley Square shooting rampage

In just six minutes, 18-year-old Sulejman Talovic left a tragic path of destruction that forever changed the lives of dozens of people.

"His intent was to shoot as many people as he possibly could," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank.

Police released details Tuesday on Talovic's shooting rampage that left five people dead before off-duty Ogden police officer Ken Hammond and four Salt Lake City police officers killed him in "a shootout," Burbank said.

Four other shooting victims are hospitalized.

Talovic was armed with a shotgun, a .38-caliber handgun and "a backpack full of ammunition," Burbank said. Around the man's waist was a bandolier of shotgun shells.

"He had a pump shotgun," said one witness, DeEtta Barta. "He was shooting, and he shot about four shots."

Barta and her friend Ron Mason were celebrating her birthday at the Desert Edge Brewery when they looked out the window and saw Talovic emerging from the parking terrace, firing away.

"It didn't seem real to me," Mason said.

Police said Tuesday they did not know where Talovic got his weapons. Investigators believe the shootings were random.

Some of the biggest questions remained unanswered Tuesday — including why Talovic picked Trolley Square and what prompted the tragedy.

"This is something really unheard of in our community," Burbank said.

Investigators believe that Talovic pulled into the west parking terrace of Trolley Square about 6:44 p.m. on Monday. He got out of his car and shot 52-year-old Jeffery Walker and his son, 16-year-old AJ Walker.

Jeffery Walker was killed. AJ was taken to a local hospital and was listed in critical but stable condition.

Barta, who is an intensive-care nurse, said she rushed to help the young man, who had been shot in the head.

"He had a bullet lodged superficially in his temple, and his ear was bleeding," she said.

On his way into the mall, Shawn Munns' family said Talovic shot Munns, 34, in the courtyard near Green Street Social Club. Munns was heading to a car when he heard a noise and turned a little.

Munns' sister-in-law, Jodie Sparrow, said the man heard Talovic say, "Die, mother-(expletive)!" as Munns was shot twice. Munns then stumbled into the Hard Rock Cafe for help.

He was reported to be in serious condition at a hospital Tuesday but alert and talking to his family.

Salt Lake City police say Talovic entered Trolley Square's west entrance, where he shot and killed 29-year-old Vanessa Quinn in the hallway. People inside the Bath and Body Works store watched helplessly as the woman was gunned down.

"We saw him go in the back door of the mall and into the store across from Bath and Body Works, and he shot a girl right in front of the door," Madilee Puttuck said, her voice shaking with fear. She and others locked themselves in a bathroom to hide from the gunman.

Emergency dispatchers were flooded with 911 calls. So many calls were made to the Salt Lake City Police Department's 911 dispatch center that the city's overflow system kicked in, and calls started being rerouted to the Valley Emergency Communications Center. The center received approximately 50 calls from Trolley Square in a 10-to 15-minute period.

Police said Talovic next moved to Cabin Fever, a novelty and card shop, where he shot four people inside, killing three. Carolyn Tuft, 44, and her 15-year-old daughter, Kirsten Hinckley, were shot. Hinckley was killed, as were Brad Frantz, 24, and Teresa Ellis, 29.

Tuft was taken to the hospital and was listed in critical but stable condition Tuesday.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere