On behalf of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder Merrill J. Bateman issued the following statement regarding the Trolley Square shootings:
"We are deeply saddened at the deaths and suffering caused by this senseless tragedy. Our sympathy and prayers go out to all who have been affected, especially the families and friends of the victims.
"Although it is difficult to explain the conflicts and incongruities of life, we are certain that through the atoning sacrifice and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ death is not the end and life continues in the hereafter.
"We pray that his spirit will bring comfort, peace and healing to all at this difficult time."
Elder Bateman said the church is also offering grief counseling to those affected by this tragic event through LDS Family Services. The Salt Lake agency of LDSFS can be reached at 801-240-1711
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 65
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 40
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 36
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17