The YWCA's Week Without Violence this year runs Oct. 18 through 25. All activities and events are free and open to the public.
Monday, Oct. 19 - As part of "Protecting Our Children" day, there will be a dance performance by Reflections of Diversity, children's activities, a visit from McGruff the Crime Dog, and a lesson on pet care, all at the Salt Lake YWCA, 322 E. 300 South.Wednesday, Oc. 21 - `Confronting Violence Against Women" day will begin with a Legislator of the Year awards breakfast, at 7:30 a.m. at the YWCA. At noon at the State Capitol, Attorney General Jan Graham and YWCA Director Susan Sheehan will speak on violence in Utah. An Ecumenical Prayer Service, conducted by Episcopal Bishop Carolyn Tanner will honor homicide victims.
Thursday, Oct. 22 - The YWCA hosts a brown bag lunch/-discussion at noon on the theme "Facing Violence Against Men." Panelists include social work professor David Derezotes, rape recovery specialist Duane DeFour; family counselor Jose Meza, and gender studies graduate Nathan Phillips.
Friday, Oct. 23 - As part of "Eliminating Racism and Hate Crimes Day" the YWCA will invite victims, police and attorneys to discuss the problem, at 5:30 p.m. David Nelson, U.S. Department of Justice; Ron and Robin Henry, recent victims; educators Theresa Martinez and Larry Gerlach; and Kelli Peterson, founder of the East High Gay Straight Alliance, will speak.
Saturday, Oct. 24 - In honor of "Replacing Violence with Sports, Recreation and Fun" day, the YWCA will open the gym and pool all day. Workshops include: basketball from 4 to 5:30 p.m, volleyball from 6 to 8 p.m., as well as pool games and family movie night.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7