Broadus was arrested for investigation of DUI by refusing to take the chemical DUI test, having windows that were tinted darker than permitted by state law, not having a driver's license in possession, and speeding.
Broadus was released from the jail on bail Sunday just after 7 a.m.
Rose, who appeared on his Sunday night coaches show on KSL-TV, did not mention the Broadus incident. The TV show was taped earlier that day.
Rose said he heard Broadus had trouble on Sunday morning, shortly after the 5 a.m. incident, but it was not until Sunday afternoon he had Broadus confirm his troubles in a personal phone call.
Rose said he "was shocked" when he learned of the incident.
"I met with Rashaun on Sunday and we talked for a long time," Rose said. "I then took the decision on what to do to bed and on Monday morning I decided this was the course of action to be taken."
The Broadus suspension will not impact future recruiting efforts at BYU, according to Rose.
"We will continue to recruit athletes who are expected to conduct themselves in line with the mission of the university," he said.
Rose said Broadus had full understanding of what was expected of him at BYU with its unique honor code.
"We had talked many times about what expectations were," Rose said, "and he fully understood. It is unfortunate that he made a mistake. He feels terrible about what has happened and the decision he made that led to this."
Broadus came to Provo after a junior college career at Western Nebraska Community College. He played in all 15 BYU games this season, and Saturday's 19-point performance by the native of Hawaii was his best effort of the season. During a three-game winning streak at the BYU Holiday Classic after Christmas, Broadus did not see significant action until the final minutes of the win over Seton Hall, although he started all three games."A lot of what happens to us now, is up to the players and how they respond," Rose said. "I have great confidence in all of our point guards. Austin is a proven, confident player and it will now be on his shoulders to respond."
Contributing: Laura Hancock E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26