TAYLORSVILLE The smallest man on the court proved to be the biggest menace to the Utah Eagles as they fell to the Indiana Alley Cats, 125-112.
Shaun Fountain, a 5-foot-10 guard for the Alley Cats, proved unstoppable. In every way imaginable he came up big. The Eagles had no answer for his driving lay-ups, his 3-point shots or his stop-and-pops. He dropped 39 on the Eagles and thwarted every Utah run.
Bryant Markson finished with 32 for the Eagles but said, "We just couldn't get in sync. We just came back from the Christmas break and didn't practice or even shoot around."
Coach Scott Fields assessed the team's play as "too soft mentally. We just had too many breakdowns."
The Alley Cats came out scratching, scoring the first eight points and establishing the tone of the game. It was an alley fight, but the Eagles did not back down.
Harold Arceneaux and Markson, both familiar names in this area, got the Eagles back in the game. Utah took its first lead at the 5:40 mark, 11-10, and the game see-sawed back and forth until midway through the second quarter when the Alley Cats took charge with a pressure defense the Eagles couldn't seem to solve.
Indiana took a 55-46 lead at halftime, and coach Carl Knox exhorted his team to "turn it up" as they took the court to begin the third.
Markson and Arceneaux mounted a comeback charge for the Eagles, but Fountain was relentless. The lead ballooned to 18 points, 103-85, early in the fourth quarter. The Eagles made one final run to cut the lead to four, 109-105, but the spunkyFountain came to the rescue again for the Alley Cats. He hit a killer 3-pointer to seal the victory at the 1:20 mark.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this... 5