Man arrested in child abuse
Police say dad hit baby's head against wall, broke 6 ribs
A man detectives say hit his 2-month-old baby's head against a wall and squeezed him so tightly that ribs were broken was arrested by Sandy police late Sunday.
Michael Richard Bay, 28, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of one count of second-degree felony child abuse.
Bay and his wife took their infant to Primary Children's Medical Center Sunday for a head injury. Bay told doctors the baby bumped his head on a coffee table four days earlier and the injury was just now apparent, according to a booking sheet from the Salt Lake County Jail.
But police say the injuries were not consistent with his story.
The infant's head was greatly enlarged, he had six broken ribs and trauma to his femur, said Sandy Police Sgt. Victor Quezada.
"The broken ribs were at various stages of healing. Some of the rib fractures were new and some about 14 days old," according to jail documents.
The boy also had "bucket fractures" on both femurs near the knee, multiple skull fractures and swelling near the brain, jail documents stated.
Police say Bay later admitted he was frustrated with the infant who wouldn't stop crying. His wife was upstairs sleeping at the time.
"Michael wrapped (the boy) into a blanket and held (him) squeezing him tightly ... He held (the boy's) ribs and shook (him) violently. Michael said he was out of control. While shaking (the boy) he hit (the boy's) head on the wall," according to jail documents. "Michael did not tell anyone about shaking or hitting (the boy's) head because he did not want to get into trouble. He figured that the doctors would determine the injuries and treat him properly."
Two other children, ages 5 and 9, live in the Bay's house. They were staying with their mother Tuesday, Quezada said.The incident remains under investigation and additional charges were being looked at, he said.
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Appeal of excommunicated LDS activist Kate...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Man accused of shooting 72-year-old West...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 27
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated... 25