Man arrested in child abuse
Police say dad hit baby's head against wall, broke 6 ribs
A man detectives say hit his 2-month-old baby's head against a wall and squeezed him so tightly that ribs were broken was arrested by Sandy police late Sunday.
Michael Richard Bay, 28, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of one count of second-degree felony child abuse.
Bay and his wife took their infant to Primary Children's Medical Center Sunday for a head injury. Bay told doctors the baby bumped his head on a coffee table four days earlier and the injury was just now apparent, according to a booking sheet from the Salt Lake County Jail.
But police say the injuries were not consistent with his story.
The infant's head was greatly enlarged, he had six broken ribs and trauma to his femur, said Sandy Police Sgt. Victor Quezada.
"The broken ribs were at various stages of healing. Some of the rib fractures were new and some about 14 days old," according to jail documents.
The boy also had "bucket fractures" on both femurs near the knee, multiple skull fractures and swelling near the brain, jail documents stated.
Police say Bay later admitted he was frustrated with the infant who wouldn't stop crying. His wife was upstairs sleeping at the time.
"Michael wrapped (the boy) into a blanket and held (him) squeezing him tightly ... He held (the boy's) ribs and shook (him) violently. Michael said he was out of control. While shaking (the boy) he hit (the boy's) head on the wall," according to jail documents. "Michael did not tell anyone about shaking or hitting (the boy's) head because he did not want to get into trouble. He figured that the doctors would determine the injuries and treat him properly."
Two other children, ages 5 and 9, live in the Bay's house. They were staying with their mother Tuesday, Quezada said.The incident remains under investigation and additional charges were being looked at, he said.
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Woman who fell into Mantua Reservoir recounts...
- Majority of babies are conceived this time of...
- Kaysville man accused of exchanging explicit...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 82
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 35
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County... 14
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 9
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8