At least four chapels of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were damaged on the big island of Hawaii in Sunday's 6.6 magnitude earthquake but there were no early reports of injuries, the president of Brigham Young University-Hawaii said.
President Eric B. Shumway, also an Area Seventy, told the Deseret Morning News Sunday night that the chapels in the Kona Stake were "damaged somewhat. The extent we don't know."
According to Elder Shumway, "the temple on Kona was not damaged structurally, but the temple president said a couple of chandeliers fell and a sewer line broke. But they'll be ready to open on Tuesday."
The major quake hit just off the Kona Coast on the big island's west coast. Elder Shumway said three major shocks hit at 7:08 a.m. Sunday, Hawaii time. Two were below 5 on the Richter scale while the main quake was reported as 6.6.
"We were shaken for about 10 seconds," he said. "Everybody felt it and the lights went out through the island (Oahu)" where he lives in Laie.
The church's famous Polynesian Cultural Center is also located in Laie. "I've heard of no damage whatsoever" to the center, he said. "We just felt the shake on Oahu and lost electricity.
"But none of the stake presidents have reported any damage, except on the big island."
"Maui was not damaged," he said. "They felt the shocks, but the stake president tells me there was no damage on Maui and no damage on Kauai." Maui and Kauai are other islands in the Hawaiian chain.
"I was very pleased to hear that the home teachers in all of the wards were out checking on people," he added. "Roads have been damaged and rocks have fallen, and some buildings were damaged but no loss of life to our knowledge, at this point."
Earlier in the day, church spokesman Dale Bills, in Salt Lake City, said church authorities in Hawaii reported all missionaries are safe and are accounted for.
"While assessment continues," he said, "initial reports show no injuries among church members and minor damage to church facilities."
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- Adjunct professors unionize for respect and...
- Looking beyond the premium is a 2-tiered...
- NTSB: Pilot in San Francisco plane crash...
- Pope Francis wins out over Edward Snowden,...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 124
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 30
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Space and religion: How believers view... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 20
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 16
- India's Supreme Court upholds anti-gay... 14
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11