Dan Marriott, now 66, left the House after four terms to run unsuccessfully for governor in 1984 (losing to Norm Bangerter in the GOP primary).
He later attempted a comeback race for Congress in 1990 but lost a GOP primary (where many Democrats "crossed over" to oppose him) to Genevieve Atwood, who in turn lost to former Rep. Wayne Owens, D-Utah.
Since Congress, Marriott says he has focused on his insurance and investment company, "and real estate was my hobby. But it got bigger than my business."
That includes building the 120-room Zion Park Inn, just outside Zion National Park, and the Switchback Grill and Trading Co. there. Marriott also developed the nearby Canyon Springs subdivision.
"We still have 30 acres of commercial property there, and we are now looking at a second phase, another hotel and resort-destination development," he says.
Marriott also built and sold a hotel and restaurant in Ogden. He says he is looking to develop another 30 acres of commercial property at the intersection there off I-15 and 12th Street.
He also recently served for three years as president of the LDS South Africa Cape Town Mission where he returned to see such figures as Archbishop Desmond Tutu, whom Marriott had first met while a member of Congress.
"I've really enjoyed my post-political career," he says, but he acknowledges missing Congress a little. "I miss traveling and doing things like meeting with Anwar Sadat in Egypt before he was assassinated, and King Hussein in Jordan and leaders throughout Europe."
He adds, "Politics has changed a lot. Back then, we were not at each other's throats. There was a better relationship between Democrats and Republicans. It's become a nasty business. I don't miss the total partisanship that goes on."
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12