Pres. Hinckley dedicates the Sacramento Temple
2-day California trip includes celebration by area LDS youths
SACRAMENTO, CALIF. President Gordon B. Hinckley, leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, topped off a two-day trip to California's capital by dedicating the Sacramento California Temple in four sessions Sunday.
The trip began with a member meeting in Arco Arena, home of the NBA Sacramento Kings, Saturday afternoon. The congregation included approximately 5,000 youths ages 12-18 who cheered loudly when the man they consider a prophet of God entered the arena.
In his remarks, President Hinckley spoke of the church's involvement in the early history of California, including the gold rush, the Mormon Battalion and the pioneer members of the church who sailed from New York to California on the ship Brooklyn.
Following the meeting, the youths presented in song, dance and drama church history and principles relating to California.
Among the church leaders joining President Hinckley were President Thomas S. Monson, first counselor in the First Presidency; Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve, Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Presidency of the Seventy, and Elder Richard G. Hinckley of the Seventy, President Hinckley's son.The Sacramento Temple is the church's 123rd working temple and the seventh in California.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23