Pres. Hinckley dedicates the Sacramento Temple
2-day California trip includes celebration by area LDS youths
SACRAMENTO, CALIF. President Gordon B. Hinckley, leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, topped off a two-day trip to California's capital by dedicating the Sacramento California Temple in four sessions Sunday.
The trip began with a member meeting in Arco Arena, home of the NBA Sacramento Kings, Saturday afternoon. The congregation included approximately 5,000 youths ages 12-18 who cheered loudly when the man they consider a prophet of God entered the arena.
In his remarks, President Hinckley spoke of the church's involvement in the early history of California, including the gold rush, the Mormon Battalion and the pioneer members of the church who sailed from New York to California on the ship Brooklyn.
Following the meeting, the youths presented in song, dance and drama church history and principles relating to California.
Among the church leaders joining President Hinckley were President Thomas S. Monson, first counselor in the First Presidency; Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve, Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Presidency of the Seventy, and Elder Richard G. Hinckley of the Seventy, President Hinckley's son.The Sacramento Temple is the church's 123rd working temple and the seventh in California.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 12