Death, injuries blamed on storm
Rain and hail fall; Cottonwood Hospital basement flooded
Keith Johnson, Deseret Morning News
A brief but intense thunderstorm cell dropped heavy rain and hail in central Salt Lake County during midafternoon on Saturday and caused an accident on I-80 in Parleys Canyon that killed one motorist.
The driver of a white SUV lost control, and the vehicle hydroplaned into a red pickup truck. The driver of the SUV was killed. Three people were airlifted to the hospital, and a fourth was less seriously injured. Traffic was at a standstill for two hours.
The basement of Cottonwood Hospital in Murray was flooded due to the heavy rains that fell over about a 45-minute period. The heavy rains knocked leaves off trees and soon clogged drains. Water overflowed from the parking lot and ran into the hospital's loading dock. The pump couldn't keep up with the rapid influx of water, and the basement flooded.
However, day-to-day hospital activities will be largely unaffected by the flooding.
Salt Lake County Fire Department received 28 calls reporting flooding, starting at 3:30 p.m. following the storm.Many locations reported nearly an inch of rain. It wasn't just rain in some places. Taylorsville, Murray, Cottonwood Heights and East Millcreek saw hail, and there was some lightning.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13