Death, injuries blamed on storm
Rain and hail fall; Cottonwood Hospital basement flooded
Keith Johnson, Deseret Morning News
A brief but intense thunderstorm cell dropped heavy rain and hail in central Salt Lake County during midafternoon on Saturday and caused an accident on I-80 in Parleys Canyon that killed one motorist.
The driver of a white SUV lost control, and the vehicle hydroplaned into a red pickup truck. The driver of the SUV was killed. Three people were airlifted to the hospital, and a fourth was less seriously injured. Traffic was at a standstill for two hours.
The basement of Cottonwood Hospital in Murray was flooded due to the heavy rains that fell over about a 45-minute period. The heavy rains knocked leaves off trees and soon clogged drains. Water overflowed from the parking lot and ran into the hospital's loading dock. The pump couldn't keep up with the rapid influx of water, and the basement flooded.
However, day-to-day hospital activities will be largely unaffected by the flooding.
Salt Lake County Fire Department received 28 calls reporting flooding, starting at 3:30 p.m. following the storm.Many locations reported nearly an inch of rain. It wasn't just rain in some places. Taylorsville, Murray, Cottonwood Heights and East Millcreek saw hail, and there was some lightning.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26