Death, injuries blamed on storm
Rain and hail fall; Cottonwood Hospital basement flooded
Keith Johnson, Deseret Morning News
A brief but intense thunderstorm cell dropped heavy rain and hail in central Salt Lake County during midafternoon on Saturday and caused an accident on I-80 in Parleys Canyon that killed one motorist.
The driver of a white SUV lost control, and the vehicle hydroplaned into a red pickup truck. The driver of the SUV was killed. Three people were airlifted to the hospital, and a fourth was less seriously injured. Traffic was at a standstill for two hours.
The basement of Cottonwood Hospital in Murray was flooded due to the heavy rains that fell over about a 45-minute period. The heavy rains knocked leaves off trees and soon clogged drains. Water overflowed from the parking lot and ran into the hospital's loading dock. The pump couldn't keep up with the rapid influx of water, and the basement flooded.
However, day-to-day hospital activities will be largely unaffected by the flooding.
Salt Lake County Fire Department received 28 calls reporting flooding, starting at 3:30 p.m. following the storm.Many locations reported nearly an inch of rain. It wasn't just rain in some places. Taylorsville, Murray, Cottonwood Heights and East Millcreek saw hail, and there was some lightning.
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 16
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13