Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- Gay rights activists to fight charges for...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22