Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11