Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6