Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Provo’s Bikes and Trikes Festival is...
- Cedar Hills’ Family Festival kicks off...
- Don't know what's causing your infection? Ask...
- U. study shows how huge landslide shaped Zion...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 22
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8