Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Veterans Day 'mystery soldier' not anonymous...
- Woman killed in Eagle Mountain concrete accident
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 57
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 32
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 25
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 19