Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Mill Creek restoration project to offer new...
- Ex-Attorney General Mark Shurtleff pleads not...
- Support for law requiring sales tax for...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 50
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 38
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 28
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 25
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- 'No more red herrings' for Medicaid... 18
- Teenage girl bullied relentlessly gets... 14