Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Video involving officer whose ear was nearly...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier arrive at...
- Woman dies after getting caught in...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of investors...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 38
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 22
- Supporters of Oregon occupier arrive at... 19
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 18
- A.G. investigators go undercover during... 16