Tim Allen will be behind the wheel this weekend at the first-ever West Michigan Grand Prix.
Allen, who plays Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor on the popular sitcom "Home Improvement," will drive a Saleen Ford Mustang Sunday in the World Challenge Championship series' Touring 1 division race. He's also expected to take a few practice laps on Friday."There couldn't have been a better time to get the news that Tim Allen is coming," said race spokesman Tim Wondergem.
While more than 33,000 people have purchased tickets for the weekend event, Allen's appearance is expected to boost attendance by as much as 25 percent.
Allen's driving has been in the news for two reasons. He has raced professionally for four years in the World Championship T1 series, and he pleaded guilty in 1997 to drunken driving and checked into a rehabilitation clinic as part of a court-ordered sentence.
Birthdays: For Thursday, July 23
Actress Gloria DeHaven 73
Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy 62
Actor Woody Harrelson 37
Singer Alison Krauss 27
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Provo man killed brother-in-law in...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Looming chocolate drought may leave some...
- Woman thanks rescuer who pushed her away from...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- Romney, Lee take to the airwaves to... 63
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 53
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 43
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34