CEDAR CITY A thunderstorm with heavy rain caused two mud-and-rock slides and closed lengthy segments of U-14 in Cedar Canyon and U-143 in Parowan Canyon, both east of here, Sunday night.
The water also caused the flooding of one west-side Parowan bridge and was threatening nearby homes, said Cedar City-based emergency dispatcher Jeff Haycock.
No one was hurt in the slides, and Utah Department of Transportation crews were working to clear the rocks and mud off the roads late Sunday, Haycock said.
U-14 was closed between mileposts 2 and 12 and U-143 was closed between mileposts 5 and 15. Haycock said no timetable had been established as to when the roads would reopen.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- 'People don't talk about it,' recovering...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 41
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16