In the late 1980s, few recognized (including this obnoxious lawmaker) the leadership qualities of Gov. Norman Bangerter. Ignoring favorability ratings, Bangerter made tough and unpopular decisions. He worked tirelessly to persuade GOP legislators to set aside their normal inclinations and help him expand the tax base to maintain education and government services.
Democratic Rep. Kurt Oscarson was a charter member of the Sports Authority Board. Long before the "IOC bribery" controversy, Oscarson was relentless in his questioning of public funding for Olympic sites. tah's taxpayers still enjoy the protective measures that Oscarson pushed in the Legislature.
During the 1970s, John Florez and Alex Hurtado were political activists of Mexican-American descent who openly proclaimed the Republican Party was more in line with Latino ideals than the Democrats. Their "betrayal" generated outrage, especially when they hitched their wagon to Orrin Hatch and Ronald Reagan. However, their actions now provide bipartisan political opportunities to today's Latinos.Twenty years ago, David Nelson was one of the few Utah voices demanding basic rights for gay and lesbian citizens. Aggressive in promoting antidiscrimination measures, he assisted in passage of the first hate-crimes legislation. Although Nelson frequently generated disagreement among supporters (including me), no one can dispute the courage he exhibited in the early years of this movement.
Republican LaVarr Webb was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. He now is a political consultant and lobbyist. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. A former candidate for Salt Lake mayor, he served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as House minority leader. Pignanelli's spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a Utah state tax commissioner. E-mail: email@example.com.
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Can Hollywood keep the faith in faith-based...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Letter: Outdated climate
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 69
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 64
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 46
- Letter: Breeding hate 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 37
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 32