Salt Lake City police officers have found the body of missing 5-year-old Destiny Norton in the basement of a home in her neighborhood and have arrested the man living there, police Chief Chris Burbank announced.
The body was found at 8:30 p.m. Monday, Burbank said
The man being held for investigation of homicide was identified as Craig Roger Gregerson.
Earlier Monday, police had issued a sketch of a man seen driving a black Dodge pickup with a girl who looked like 5-year-old Destiny Norton.
Burbank told a news conference Monday night that the leads on Gregerson and on the man in the pickup had developed at the same time, and police officials decided to go ahead with the release of the sketch.
Burbank made a statement and declined to answer any questions.
Authorities also had said earlier that they were looking for a man who went by the name "Bubble Man" at the drum circles that are a weekly Sunday event at Liberty Park.
Destiny and her parents had attended the drum circle July 16 just hours before Destiny disappeared from outside her house. She was barefoot and wearing only an adult-size black T-shirt with gray stripes.
Volunteers turned out in smaller than usual numbers Monday, a state holiday in Utah, to help search for Destiny. They handed out leaflets at the Days of '47 Parade marking the arrival of Mormon pioneers to Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847.
A $30,000 reward was offered for information leading to a resolution of the case.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19