Gangs possibly behind firebomb
Rival Latinos are in an ongoing turf war, Ogden police say
A firebombing at an Ogden home may be part of an ongoing turf war between rival Latino gangs.
Just after midnight Tuesday, police said someone lobbed several Molotov cocktails at a home on the 300 block of 32nd Street. Two did not go off, but a third smashed through the front window of the home.
"The fire was put out by someone in the home with a bucket of water," Ogden Police Lt. Scott Sangberg said Tuesday. "There was a lot of smoke in the home."
Six people were inside the home, including two toddlers. However, police said when officers started to investigate, the residents refused to talk.
The firebombing was the second in the past couple of weeks. On May 19, detectives said a Molotov cocktail was lobbed on the front porch of a home on the 800 block of Binford Street. It is also believed to be gang related, but authorities did not know if the two firebombings were connected.
Gang detectives said Tuesday's firebombing appears to be the latest maneuver in a gang rivalry that has escalated in the Ogden-area. A pair of Latino gangs are feuding with each other.
"They're fighting. They've been doing this for a long time," Lt. Loring Draper of the Ogden Metro Gang Unit told the Deseret Morning News. "We've had some increased activity in the last couple of months."
Draper said his detectives have been dealing with an increase in the last couple of months of shootings and assaults.
"They haven't hit anybody," he said. "Just shots fired-type calls."Police said so far they have no suspects in Tuesday's firebombing.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17