Gangs possibly behind firebomb
Rival Latinos are in an ongoing turf war, Ogden police say
A firebombing at an Ogden home may be part of an ongoing turf war between rival Latino gangs.
Just after midnight Tuesday, police said someone lobbed several Molotov cocktails at a home on the 300 block of 32nd Street. Two did not go off, but a third smashed through the front window of the home.
"The fire was put out by someone in the home with a bucket of water," Ogden Police Lt. Scott Sangberg said Tuesday. "There was a lot of smoke in the home."
Six people were inside the home, including two toddlers. However, police said when officers started to investigate, the residents refused to talk.
The firebombing was the second in the past couple of weeks. On May 19, detectives said a Molotov cocktail was lobbed on the front porch of a home on the 800 block of Binford Street. It is also believed to be gang related, but authorities did not know if the two firebombings were connected.
Gang detectives said Tuesday's firebombing appears to be the latest maneuver in a gang rivalry that has escalated in the Ogden-area. A pair of Latino gangs are feuding with each other.
"They're fighting. They've been doing this for a long time," Lt. Loring Draper of the Ogden Metro Gang Unit told the Deseret Morning News. "We've had some increased activity in the last couple of months."
Draper said his detectives have been dealing with an increase in the last couple of months of shootings and assaults.
"They haven't hit anybody," he said. "Just shots fired-type calls."Police said so far they have no suspects in Tuesday's firebombing.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10