A 14-year-old girl was listed in serious condition Sunday night after she was stabbed in the back four times in a gang-related attack.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Gary Layton said the girl, two other girls, ages 13 and 15, and a boy were walking on 300 East near 700 South about 5:44 p.m. when the incident occurred.
"A vehicle with three or four males pulled up next to them. One of the males shouted the name of a gang, and the female that got stabbed shouted back the name of a different gang, so it was a gang-on-gang thing," Layton said.
"The males got out of the car and were joined by four or five more males who were in the area and chased the boy who was with the girls across the street and beat him up."
They then stabbed the 14-year-old girl four times in the back. The other two girls were not harmed, Layton said.
The 14-year-old was taken to a local hospital, where surgery was performed Sunday night.
Police were still searching Sunday for the boy who was beaten up. His age was unknown.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11