A 14-year-old girl was listed in serious condition Sunday night after she was stabbed in the back four times in a gang-related attack.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Gary Layton said the girl, two other girls, ages 13 and 15, and a boy were walking on 300 East near 700 South about 5:44 p.m. when the incident occurred.
"A vehicle with three or four males pulled up next to them. One of the males shouted the name of a gang, and the female that got stabbed shouted back the name of a different gang, so it was a gang-on-gang thing," Layton said.
"The males got out of the car and were joined by four or five more males who were in the area and chased the boy who was with the girls across the street and beat him up."
They then stabbed the 14-year-old girl four times in the back. The other two girls were not harmed, Layton said.
The 14-year-old was taken to a local hospital, where surgery was performed Sunday night.
Police were still searching Sunday for the boy who was beaten up. His age was unknown.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 26
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14