A 14-year-old girl was listed in serious condition Sunday night after she was stabbed in the back four times in a gang-related attack.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Gary Layton said the girl, two other girls, ages 13 and 15, and a boy were walking on 300 East near 700 South about 5:44 p.m. when the incident occurred.
"A vehicle with three or four males pulled up next to them. One of the males shouted the name of a gang, and the female that got stabbed shouted back the name of a different gang, so it was a gang-on-gang thing," Layton said.
"The males got out of the car and were joined by four or five more males who were in the area and chased the boy who was with the girls across the street and beat him up."
They then stabbed the 14-year-old girl four times in the back. The other two girls were not harmed, Layton said.
The 14-year-old was taken to a local hospital, where surgery was performed Sunday night.
Police were still searching Sunday for the boy who was beaten up. His age was unknown.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 32
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17