A 14-year-old girl was listed in serious condition Sunday night after she was stabbed in the back four times in a gang-related attack.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Gary Layton said the girl, two other girls, ages 13 and 15, and a boy were walking on 300 East near 700 South about 5:44 p.m. when the incident occurred.
"A vehicle with three or four males pulled up next to them. One of the males shouted the name of a gang, and the female that got stabbed shouted back the name of a different gang, so it was a gang-on-gang thing," Layton said.
"The males got out of the car and were joined by four or five more males who were in the area and chased the boy who was with the girls across the street and beat him up."
They then stabbed the 14-year-old girl four times in the back. The other two girls were not harmed, Layton said.
The 14-year-old was taken to a local hospital, where surgery was performed Sunday night.
Police were still searching Sunday for the boy who was beaten up. His age was unknown.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23