A 14-year-old girl was listed in serious condition Sunday night after she was stabbed in the back four times in a gang-related attack.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Gary Layton said the girl, two other girls, ages 13 and 15, and a boy were walking on 300 East near 700 South about 5:44 p.m. when the incident occurred.
"A vehicle with three or four males pulled up next to them. One of the males shouted the name of a gang, and the female that got stabbed shouted back the name of a different gang, so it was a gang-on-gang thing," Layton said.
"The males got out of the car and were joined by four or five more males who were in the area and chased the boy who was with the girls across the street and beat him up."
They then stabbed the 14-year-old girl four times in the back. The other two girls were not harmed, Layton said.
The 14-year-old was taken to a local hospital, where surgery was performed Sunday night.
Police were still searching Sunday for the boy who was beaten up. His age was unknown.
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 22
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19