Gymnastics: Utah remains 3rd in nation
Sophomore Postell regains top ranking on balance beam
As expected, Utah's gymnastics team remained ranked third by .01 point this week, but sophomore Ashley Postell regained her No. 1 ranking on the balance beam, thanks to a 9.975 scored at BYU Friday night.
In that meet, Utah remained undefeated but had its lowest score since Jan. 13, a 195.825. The 194.25 scored by BYU helped the Cougars into the No. 26 ranking. They were unranked last week because they didn't have enough meets for a Regional Qualifying Score, an average of the six best scores, three of which must be from road meets, with the high thrown out.
Southern Utah checks in at No. 27, dropping five places despite having a higher RQS, mainly because more teams now have an RQS, like BYU. Utah State fell to 30th, though its RQS is exactly the same as last week.
Postell (9.91 RQS) moved up from third to first on beam but fell from 23rd to 25th in all-around. Ute junior Nicolle Ford (39.3), unranked all-around last week without enough meets, moved into third this week.
Ford (9.875) is also ranked sixth on beam with senior Gritt Hofmann (9.825) 21st and SUU's Leah Sakhitab (9.805) 25th. On bars, Ford (9.895) ranks fifth with U. freshman Kristina Baskett (9.88) ninth and Postell (9.855) 17th. Baskett (9.885) is eighth and Postell (9.86) tied for 19th in vaulting, and Baskett (9.845) is 18th on floor.
The Utes (49.215) rank No. 2 on bars with SUU (48.43) 22nd, No. 3 (49.22) in vault, No. 5 (48.98) with BYU (48.23) No. 22 on beam and ninth (49.01) on floor.
Utah is off until hosting No. 1 Georgia on March 6. SUU hosts Utah State on Friday, while BYU is at Arizona Friday.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48