One of the real interesting transitions this season is that of Scott Layden.
He was dumped by the Knicks, for whom he had been president and general manager, to make way for, ahem, Isiah Thomas. Layden has resurfaced in Utah, which is where it all began for him, starting as an assistant on his father's coaching staff with the Jazz to being the team's general manager before taking the Knicks job.
"It's unusual," Layden conceded. "Normally, when you get a new job, you usually only know the person who hires you. In this case, I know everyone and I've worked with everyone before. It's been a great transition that way. It's a reunion of old friends, and I'm very lucky in that respect. Sure, there are things you miss, but I'm back in the gym every day, and I enjoy basketball."
Layden and current Jazz coach Jerry Sloan were assistants under Frank Layden in the 1980s. Now Scott Layden is the No. 3 assistant under Sloan. Asked about perhaps seeing the job change as a comedown, Sloan said, "I don't think he looked at it that way. He's looking at it as not having a job to having a job. That's the most important thing. If he was team president, you don't have to worry about getting a job. To get into this business, you do your job and keep your mouth shut, and people will recommend you for another job. Some people feel they have to campaign for jobs. Well, if you can't do your job, you'd better campaign. He comes in and does his job, every day."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20