The 2005 season marks the first time since 2001 BYU has kept a quarterback healthy for the entire season heading into the annual rivalry game. During that time, BYU has gone 0-3 against the Utes.
John Beck has started all 10 of BYU's games in 2005, the first time that's happened at the QB spot since Brandon Doman's senior season.
In five seasons of this decade, BYU has given nine QBs key playing time in big games. A 10th, Ben Olson, almost took to the field in 2002 against Utah State. The QB procession in five years includes Bret Engemann, Charlie Peterson, Doman, Lance Pendleton, Matt Berry, Beck, Todd Mortenson, Jason Beck and Jackson Brown.In 2003, the season ended with fourth-string QB Brown starting in a snow storm against Utah in LaVell Edwards Stadium, a 3-0 loss.
Who could forget?
In 1999, both Utah and BYU were battling for a league title, with the Utes winning 20-17 in Provo. After a Utah touchdown early in the fourth quarter, Ute cheerleaders grabbed their giant "U" flag and ran along the back of the north end zone. One of the cheerleaders, Billy Priddis, was tackled from behind by a BYU fan. Priddis responded by pummeling the fan with his fists before stadium security broke it up. Ute receiver Steve Smith taunted BYU fans by saying: "Even our cheerleaders are kicking your butt!"
"It felt weird. It was just as easy as it looked. It was like we were running against air. It was easy to break tackles and find holes. Their defense didn't seem to be there." BYU running back Fred Whittingham, who scored three touchdowns against Utah in a 1989 Cougar 70-31 win.
Number of note
6 The number of head coaches who have led BYU and Utah into the storied rivalry since the new millennium began in 2000. Those coaches include LaVell Edwards, Gary Crowton and Bronco Mendenhall for the Cougars and Ron McBride, Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham at Utah. This is the most turnover at the top at any time in five seasons during the long rivalry.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 46
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 43
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 31