The 2005 season marks the first time since 2001 BYU has kept a quarterback healthy for the entire season heading into the annual rivalry game. During that time, BYU has gone 0-3 against the Utes.
John Beck has started all 10 of BYU's games in 2005, the first time that's happened at the QB spot since Brandon Doman's senior season.
In five seasons of this decade, BYU has given nine QBs key playing time in big games. A 10th, Ben Olson, almost took to the field in 2002 against Utah State. The QB procession in five years includes Bret Engemann, Charlie Peterson, Doman, Lance Pendleton, Matt Berry, Beck, Todd Mortenson, Jason Beck and Jackson Brown.In 2003, the season ended with fourth-string QB Brown starting in a snow storm against Utah in LaVell Edwards Stadium, a 3-0 loss.
Who could forget?
In 1999, both Utah and BYU were battling for a league title, with the Utes winning 20-17 in Provo. After a Utah touchdown early in the fourth quarter, Ute cheerleaders grabbed their giant "U" flag and ran along the back of the north end zone. One of the cheerleaders, Billy Priddis, was tackled from behind by a BYU fan. Priddis responded by pummeling the fan with his fists before stadium security broke it up. Ute receiver Steve Smith taunted BYU fans by saying: "Even our cheerleaders are kicking your butt!"
"It felt weird. It was just as easy as it looked. It was like we were running against air. It was easy to break tackles and find holes. Their defense didn't seem to be there." BYU running back Fred Whittingham, who scored three touchdowns against Utah in a 1989 Cougar 70-31 win.
Number of note
6 The number of head coaches who have led BYU and Utah into the storied rivalry since the new millennium began in 2000. Those coaches include LaVell Edwards, Gary Crowton and Bronco Mendenhall for the Cougars and Ron McBride, Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham at Utah. This is the most turnover at the top at any time in five seasons during the long rivalry.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 33
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32