Can't we all just get along? Coaches, fans and players aren't the only folks fueling the rivalry. Historians have also drawn a line in the sand.
At the center of the debate is when the series actually began.
Utah officials claim that independent researchers trace its origins back to 1896 when BYU was known as the BY Academy. The rivals split six games in that era, a period of time BYU doesn't include in the series.
Utah, thus, contends it leads the long-running series by a 51-31-4 margin. BYU, however, sees it as 48-28-4 with the first meeting in 1922.What's indisputable is the fact that the long-running rivalry has become an annual tradition. The teams have met every year without interruption since 1946.
Who could ferget?
2003: On a cold, snowy day in Provo, BYU's NCAA record scoring streak was snapped at 361 games (dating back to 1975). A 41-yard field goal by Bryan Borreson produced the game's only points as the Utes claimed a 3-0 victory.
They also left LaVell Edwards Stadium with the program's first outright conference championship since 1957.
"To do it against BYU is just great. Gosh, I just can't say enough," said Utah senior Dave Revill. "We put it up on the board as a goal and we did it."
Utah went on to defeat Southern Miss in the Liberty Bowl and finish 10-2 overall.BYU, on the other hand, wound up 4-8 suffering its second consecutive losing season for the first time since 1970-71.
"This is a dream come true for the team. I can't say enough about my teammates. They deserve this. We are gonna get our shot to go to the BCS and play with the big boys." Utah quarterback Alex Smith after leading the Utes to 538 yards of total offense in last year's 52-21 win over BYU at Rice-Eccles Stadium. The victory capped an 11-0 regular season and led to a Fiesta Bowl bid.
Number of note
149 Number of games since Utah has been shut out. The last time the Utes were held scoreless was Sept. 4, 1993, in a 38-0 loss at Arizona State. BYU hasn't blanked Utah since 1979 when the Cougars prevailed 27-0 in Provo.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- One mistake turned Utah native and Yankees...
- Doug Robinson: Former SLC engineer gets paid...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 79
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 67
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 36
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33