A new film about the life of Joseph Smith, founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will begin showing in the Legacy Theater of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on Saturday, Dec. 17.
"Joseph Smith, The Prophet of the Restoration" was produced under the supervision of the First Presidency as part of the LDS Church's commemoration of the 200th anniversary of Smith's birth. The film depicts Smith's life from his early youth in Vermont to his martyrdom in Illinois at age 38.
Admission to the movie is free, but advance reservations are required. Reservations can be made beginning this Saturday at 10 a.m. Online reservations will be accepted at www.lds.org/events. Telephone reservations will be taken at 1-866-537-8457 or 801-570-0080. No in-person reservations can be made. A limit of 10 reservations per person will apply to all requests.
The movie will be shown every 90 minutes, Tuesday through Saturday, at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. On Mondays, the last showing will begin at 3 p.m. Initially, reservations will be made only for showings from Dec. 17 through Jan. 31.
On Dec. 24, the movie will begin showing at the following LDS Church visitors centers: Mesa, Ariz., Temple Visitors Center; Laie, Hawaii, Temple Visitors Center; Hill Cumorah Visitors Center; Historic Kirtland Visitors Center; Historic Nauvoo Visitors Center; Idaho Falls Temple Visitors Center; Independence Visitors Center; Los Angeles Temple Visitors Center; New Zealand Temple Visitors Center; Oakland Temple Visitors Center; St. George Temple Visitors Center; Temple Square Visitors Center; Washington, D.C., Temple Visitors Center; Joseph Smith Birthplace Memorial; Liberty Jail Historic Site; Mormon Trail Center at Historic Winter Quarters; and the San Diego Mormon Battalion Historic Site. Show times will vary by location. Telephone numbers and addresses for the visitors centers can be found at www.lds.org/placestovisit.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 111
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20