Paul Morris Marriott, 91, passed away in Miami, Florida on April 12, 1998.
He was born on April 6, 1907 on a ranch in Marriott, Utah, to Hyrum Willard Marriott and Ellen Morris Marriott. He was the fifth of eight children. He attended Utah schools and the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. In 1929, he left Utah to serve in the Eastern States Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Shortly thereafter, he enlisted in the United States Navy in Washington D.C. He served in World War II, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Commander in Pensacola, Florida. In the 1930's he moved to Washington D.C. to help his brother, John Willard Marriott, expand a rapidly growing business called The Hot Shoppes, which later became the Marriott Corporation. He was very instrumental in the early years of the company, in expanding the growth of the restaurants and establishing the airline catering service known as Marriott In-Flight Services. Under his capable leadership the foundation was laid for what became in a few short years the industry's leading airline caterer. He served as Executive Vice President of Marriott Corporation, retiring in the early 1960's.He was an avid sportsman who played in many ProAm golf events and various tennis tournaments. In his later years, he was an owner of thoroughbred racing horses in Virginia and Florida. He was married to Rebecca Smoot. They were later divorced.
He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. John W. Champion, Jr. (Rebecca), of Park City, Utah; two brothers, Woodrow Marriott, Washington DC; and Russell Marriott, Kensington, Maryland; and one sister, Ellen Marriott Dougan, Salt Lake City, Utah. He was preceded in death by a brother, John Willard Marriott, and three sisters, Doris Wright, Eva Candland, and Kathryn Kaufholz.
Funeral services will be held on Friday, April 17, 1998, in Ogden, Utah. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the American Heart Association in his name. Burial will be in the Ogden City Cemetery.
Any information pertaining to service call Mike Wright 1-801-731-5793.
N 4/16 N 4/16
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13