Paul Morris Marriott, 91, passed away in Miami, Florida on April 12, 1998.
He was born on April 6, 1907 on a ranch in Marriott, Utah, to Hyrum Willard Marriott and Ellen Morris Marriott. He was the fifth of eight children. He attended Utah schools and the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. In 1929, he left Utah to serve in the Eastern States Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Shortly thereafter, he enlisted in the United States Navy in Washington D.C. He served in World War II, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Commander in Pensacola, Florida. In the 1930's he moved to Washington D.C. to help his brother, John Willard Marriott, expand a rapidly growing business called The Hot Shoppes, which later became the Marriott Corporation. He was very instrumental in the early years of the company, in expanding the growth of the restaurants and establishing the airline catering service known as Marriott In-Flight Services. Under his capable leadership the foundation was laid for what became in a few short years the industry's leading airline caterer. He served as Executive Vice President of Marriott Corporation, retiring in the early 1960's.He was an avid sportsman who played in many ProAm golf events and various tennis tournaments. In his later years, he was an owner of thoroughbred racing horses in Virginia and Florida. He was married to Rebecca Smoot. They were later divorced.
He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. John W. Champion, Jr. (Rebecca), of Park City, Utah; two brothers, Woodrow Marriott, Washington DC; and Russell Marriott, Kensington, Maryland; and one sister, Ellen Marriott Dougan, Salt Lake City, Utah. He was preceded in death by a brother, John Willard Marriott, and three sisters, Doris Wright, Eva Candland, and Kathryn Kaufholz.
Funeral services will be held on Friday, April 17, 1998, in Ogden, Utah. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the American Heart Association in his name. Burial will be in the Ogden City Cemetery.
Any information pertaining to service call Mike Wright 1-801-731-5793.
N 4/16 N 4/16
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 12