Springville resident Carl H. Carpenter, who has done engineering work for federal, state and local agencies, Saturday night was named the engineer of the year by the Consulting Engineers Council of Utah.
During the same banquet in the University Park Hotel, which was the culmination of Engineers Week in Utah, Chris P. Pantelides, a professor in the University of Utah's Department of Civil Engineering, was named the engineering educator of the year.Both men were nominated for the awards by the Utah Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers, one of 17 engineering groups that make up the council.
Carpenter received a civil engineering degree form Utah State University in 1956 and has done work for Utah Power, U.S. Geological Survey, Utah Division of Water Resources, Central Utah Water Conservancy District and the Provo City Department of Water Resources. He has engineered 30 high-yield water wells and has written more than 100 hydrologic reports.
Pantelides received his civil engineering degree at American University in Beruit in 1980 and joined the U. of U. in 1991. His research interests include rehabilitation of the infrastructure with carbon fiber composites and performance of building envelopes in wind or seismic environments.
Here are the others honored Saturday night and the projects:
- Grand Conceptor Award, Montgomery Wilson, Hill Air Force Base asphalt cap.
- Grand Award, EWP Engineering and Van Boerum & Frank Associates, 2002 Winter Olympics bobsled and luge track.
- Fehr & Peers Associates Inc., Utah Valley State College infrastructure improvements.
Honor Awards went to:
- Carollo Engineers and Horrocks Engineers, Quail Creek Water Treatment Plant expansion.
- Anderson Engineering Co., Bluewater uranium mill.
- Reaveley Engineers & Associates Inc., Gateway parking structure, the Questar InfoComm Data Center and the E Center.
- ARW Engineers, Perry's Egyptian Theater restoration.
- Heath Engineering Co., Marriott Library expansion and renovation, U. of U.
- Van Boerum & Frank Associates, Giovale Library, Westminster College.
- Boyle Engineering Corp., Diamond Fork pipeline and road rehabilitation.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16