Senior linebacker headlined a much-improved UNC defense, which gave up just 378 yards. He recovered two fumbles and had 10 tackles.
Play of the game
With North Carolina holding a 17-14 lead late in the third quarter, Eric Weddle intercepts a pass and returns it 37 yards for a touchdown. The play, however, is nullified by a roughing the passer call. The Tar Heels then march downfield for a score of their own.
Starting running back Quinton Ganther, Utah's leading rusher, is benched for the first three series for an undisclosed "Internal" reason. The Utes wind up with just 1 yard of total offense without Ganther, punting after three plays on all three drives.
Two things that hurt us the (five) turnovers and letting them have a kickoff return (for a TD) on the opening play of the game. That's ridiculous. That should never happen." Kyle Whittingham, Utah head coach
AT COLORADO STATE
Where: Fort Collins, Colo.
Update: Colorado State (2-2, 1-0) defeated Air Force on Thursday 41-23 to open up Mountain West Conference play with a victory.
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Alan...
- U. student government passes resolution... 62
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 40
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19