Senior linebacker headlined a much-improved UNC defense, which gave up just 378 yards. He recovered two fumbles and had 10 tackles.
Play of the game
With North Carolina holding a 17-14 lead late in the third quarter, Eric Weddle intercepts a pass and returns it 37 yards for a touchdown. The play, however, is nullified by a roughing the passer call. The Tar Heels then march downfield for a score of their own.
Starting running back Quinton Ganther, Utah's leading rusher, is benched for the first three series for an undisclosed "Internal" reason. The Utes wind up with just 1 yard of total offense without Ganther, punting after three plays on all three drives.
Two things that hurt us the (five) turnovers and letting them have a kickoff return (for a TD) on the opening play of the game. That's ridiculous. That should never happen." Kyle Whittingham, Utah head coach
AT COLORADO STATE
Where: Fort Collins, Colo.
Update: Colorado State (2-2, 1-0) defeated Air Force on Thursday 41-23 to open up Mountain West Conference play with a victory.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- One mistake turned Utah native and Yankees...
- Doug Robinson: Former SLC engineer gets paid...
- High school football: Weber Warriors 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 84
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 67
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 39
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33