Senior linebacker headlined a much-improved UNC defense, which gave up just 378 yards. He recovered two fumbles and had 10 tackles.
Play of the game
With North Carolina holding a 17-14 lead late in the third quarter, Eric Weddle intercepts a pass and returns it 37 yards for a touchdown. The play, however, is nullified by a roughing the passer call. The Tar Heels then march downfield for a score of their own.
Starting running back Quinton Ganther, Utah's leading rusher, is benched for the first three series for an undisclosed "Internal" reason. The Utes wind up with just 1 yard of total offense without Ganther, punting after three plays on all three drives.
Two things that hurt us the (five) turnovers and letting them have a kickoff return (for a TD) on the opening play of the game. That's ridiculous. That should never happen." Kyle Whittingham, Utah head coach
AT COLORADO STATE
Where: Fort Collins, Colo.
Update: Colorado State (2-2, 1-0) defeated Air Force on Thursday 41-23 to open up Mountain West Conference play with a victory.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 57
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 52
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27