When Robert Duvall was looking to find a fiery minister to help him play "The Apostle," people said go see the Rev. Paul Baggett, the Happy Pastor.
"Somebody once told me I preach like I got yellowjackets up my legs," says Baggett, who has preached at the same church in Millersville, Tenn., for 20 years. "Why am I the `Happy Preacher'? It's the joy of Jesus. It's recognizing I've got a place in heaven."Duvall didn't model his character, Sonny Dewey, on Baggett, but he learned plenty that helped him capture the spirit of his flawed but goodhearted character.
"Many of the people I met doing research were the most spiritual beings I have ever known," said Duvall, who followed Baggett on the road for a couple of weeks on the revival circuit.
Birthdays: For Sunday, Feb. 8
Actor Jack Lemmon 73
ABC News anchor Ted Koppel 58
Actor Nick Nolte 57
Comic Robert Klein 56
Actress Mary Steenburgen 45
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Judge tosses snowboarders' lawsuit demanding...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Granite School District reminds teachers of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 95
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 28
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18