When Robert Duvall was looking to find a fiery minister to help him play "The Apostle," people said go see the Rev. Paul Baggett, the Happy Pastor.
"Somebody once told me I preach like I got yellowjackets up my legs," says Baggett, who has preached at the same church in Millersville, Tenn., for 20 years. "Why am I the `Happy Preacher'? It's the joy of Jesus. It's recognizing I've got a place in heaven."Duvall didn't model his character, Sonny Dewey, on Baggett, but he learned plenty that helped him capture the spirit of his flawed but goodhearted character.
"Many of the people I met doing research were the most spiritual beings I have ever known," said Duvall, who followed Baggett on the road for a couple of weeks on the revival circuit.
Birthdays: For Sunday, Feb. 8
Actor Jack Lemmon 73
ABC News anchor Ted Koppel 58
Actor Nick Nolte 57
Comic Robert Klein 56
Actress Mary Steenburgen 45
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 48
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 22
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8