When Robert Duvall was looking to find a fiery minister to help him play "The Apostle," people said go see the Rev. Paul Baggett, the Happy Pastor.
"Somebody once told me I preach like I got yellowjackets up my legs," says Baggett, who has preached at the same church in Millersville, Tenn., for 20 years. "Why am I the `Happy Preacher'? It's the joy of Jesus. It's recognizing I've got a place in heaven."Duvall didn't model his character, Sonny Dewey, on Baggett, but he learned plenty that helped him capture the spirit of his flawed but goodhearted character.
"Many of the people I met doing research were the most spiritual beings I have ever known," said Duvall, who followed Baggett on the road for a couple of weeks on the revival circuit.
Birthdays: For Sunday, Feb. 8
Actor Jack Lemmon 73
ABC News anchor Ted Koppel 58
Actor Nick Nolte 57
Comic Robert Klein 56
Actress Mary Steenburgen 45
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18