Italian peacekeeping troops serving in Lebanon in 1983 were spared attacks because Syria's defense minister had a crush on Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida, the minister has said in an interview.
Lt. Gen. Mustafa Tlas told al-Bayan newspaper he asked Syrian-backed Lebanese forces fighting an Israeli occupation not to attack Italian soldiers "so that not a single tear may fall from Gina Loll-o-brigida's eyes.""I gathered the heads of the Lebanese resistance and told them: `Do anything you want to American forces or to the British and others, but I do not want a single Italian soldier hurt,' " the Dubai newspaper Thursday quoted Tlas as say-ing.
"I was lucky. Not one Italian soldier was injured. Not because the Lebanese resistance followed my order but because the whole Lebanese people treated the Italians well," Tlas said.
He said he had been fond of Gina Lollobrigida since his youth.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 47
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 44
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 15
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 15
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 13
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8