Italian peacekeeping troops serving in Lebanon in 1983 were spared attacks because Syria's defense minister had a crush on Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida, the minister has said in an interview.
Lt. Gen. Mustafa Tlas told al-Bayan newspaper he asked Syrian-backed Lebanese forces fighting an Israeli occupation not to attack Italian soldiers "so that not a single tear may fall from Gina Loll-o-brigida's eyes.""I gathered the heads of the Lebanese resistance and told them: `Do anything you want to American forces or to the British and others, but I do not want a single Italian soldier hurt,' " the Dubai newspaper Thursday quoted Tlas as say-ing.
"I was lucky. Not one Italian soldier was injured. Not because the Lebanese resistance followed my order but because the whole Lebanese people treated the Italians well," Tlas said.
He said he had been fond of Gina Lollobrigida since his youth.
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 22
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Race heating up as congressional... 11