Educators support teaching evolution
But Buttars may push bill about intelligent design
"We believe that excluding recent scientific discoveries simply because they run counter to the Darwinian model of origins is not good educational policy," the act says.
Buttars' act would further intelligent design in public schools by explaining it does not inject religion in lessors and that the Darwinian model is accepted by some scientists but rejected by others.
"It is actually a theory, a possible explanation, a single world view one which is highly vulnerable to close scrutiny and can only survive in an environment in which alternative views are ridiculed, caricatured or, more seriously, ignored completely."
It's uncertain how much support intelligent design legislation would receive on Capitol Hill. Last week, Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. told reporters he believes intelligent design should not be taught in science classes and that the time to talk about other concepts comes largely at home or in religious settings.
"If it comes up in sociology or philosophy as differing views on creation, I think that's appropriate," Huntsman said. "But that doesn't happen until college or maybe later in high school."
The State Board of Education took a similar path Friday."I personally fervently . . . believe in intelligent design. (But) I believe it needs to be taught in the home and perhaps, religious institutions," board member Bill Colbert said. "It's a personal issue. Even if we try to teach it in a classroom, (I don't think teachers) can do justice to various beliefs that are out there in our communities."
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- 1,200 gather in Salt Lake, take part in...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 26
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 24
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12