Real Salt Lake announced Monday that midfielder Andy Williams will be out four weeks after straining his left groin in the opening minutes of Saturday's loss at Los Angeles.
Williams sustained the injury in the eighth minute after being fouled by the Galaxy's Paulo Nagamura. He initially tried running it off, but Williams quickly realized it was too serious and was subbed out in the ninth minute following Los Angeles' goal in the same minute.
In his absence, RSL coach John Ellinger will likely drop forward Clint Mathis back into Williams' midfielder role.
REAL WEEK: Utah governor Jon Huntsman Jr. and Salt Lake County mayor Rocky Anderson declared this week "Real Week" at the City and County Building Monday in anticipation of the team's home opener this Saturday. The game against the Colorado Rapids kicks-off at 1 p.m. at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
Tickets are still available for Saturday's home opener against Colorado at 1 p.m. Fans a strongly encouraged to buy tickets prior to Saturday to avoid long lines at the ticket office. Tickets can be purchased by calling 581-UTIX, by visiting the Rice-Eccles Stadium ticket office or by logging onto www.utahtickets.com
Fans attending the opener will get to see two games, as the Real Salt Lake Reserves face the Rapids Reserves at 3:30 p.m.
KSL RATINGS: KSL's broadcast of Real Salt Lake's game at Los Angeles last Saturday earned a 3.2 rating and a six share across Utah.
The ratings breakdown means that 3.2 percent of all homes in Utah were watching RSL's opening game, while 6 percent of homes with the TV turned on were watching.
RSL's 3.2 rating peaked at 4.7 with an eight share in the second half, outdistancing a 3.0 rating and a six share the Utah Jazz earned during a crossover time period.
BESAGNO IN ACTION: RSL's 16-year-old midfielder Nikolas Besagno, who took with the No. 1 pick in the draft, is expected to start today for the under-17 U.S. National Team in a CONCACAF U-17 qualifying tournament against El Salvador.
The U.S. team will then face Cuba on Thursday and then Costa Rica on Saturday in the final match.The team is trying to qualify for the U-17 World Championships this fall.
- 'A little dating community': Marriages emerge...
- Morning links: Most excitement for Jazz since...
- From stutterer to preacher: Former BYU safety...
- Exum, Hood, Cooley shine for Jazz in Summer...
- Aggies, Cougars, Utes named to college...
- Top in-state basketball prospects receiving...
- Police arrest, identify alleged gunman in...
- Newly signed Jazz rookie Trey Lyles 'happy to...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 41
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 38
- Morning links: Most excitement for Jazz... 36
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 30
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 25
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 24
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul... 16
- BYU football recruit Charles West shot... 16